Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Workflow question for plugins and inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinlance View Post
I read Drew's advice and watched the video as well. But I'm not sure if I'm explaining this very well. And my apologies. I have an extensive template that includes BG going all the way to BG Stack P. They are hidden and I do unhide them when it's time to.

My problem is after I record the first set of BG vocals and use the BG Stack A Aux to open an eq, a compressor, auto tune, and a couple of sends that might include a verb and delay, I am faced with the challenge of getting that information over to the next
BG Stack B Aux. I either have to OPTION drag the plugin over to the next AUX track or copy & paste the information from the plugins one by one to the same plugins that I have already set up in my template, on the Aux track. Keep in mind that depending on the artist and their voice, not to mention the type of song and the way they're singing the particular BG vocal harmony, I might not be able to use the same setting. So it needs to change from BG Stack A Aux to BG Stack B Aux and so on...

I'm just trying to get the PLUG-IN or the PLUG-IN INFORMATION over to the next BG Stack Aux way quicker. I hope I explained what I'm trying to accomplish a bit better, this time around.

Once I have the EQ and compression settings for the 1st BG Stack Aux, I'm usually sold on the settings. I just need to get that over to the next AUX to record more harmonies.
Oh, command shift C, and command shift V will copy/paste the settings from one plug to the next.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:11 AM

Right. But is there a way to do them across the board on each BG Stack AUX channel instead of having to do it every single time right before I record?

I would like each BG Stack Aux track to be identical instead of going to each aux and copying and pasting the settings for each plugin. It seems like that takes up more than the 7-10 seconds that I need while recording.

Is there a way to copy the plugins, plugin information, and sends exactly what's on the first BG Stack A Aux and paste them to BG Stack B Aux, without having to do them one at a time?
Old 09-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Right. But is there a way to do them across the board on each BG Stack AUX channel instead of having to do it every single time right before I record?

I would like each BG Stack Aux track to be identical instead of going to each aux and copying and pasting the settings for each plugin. It seems like that takes up more than the 7-10 seconds that I need while recording.

Is there a way to copy the plugins, plugin information, and sends exactly what's on the first BG Stack A Aux and paste them to BG Stack B Aux, without having to do them one at a time?

Yes, you can link the inserts in the Group Properties window so changes made to one, will be made to all.

For existing groups, right click and choose Modify Group and check the appropriate boxes there and the plugs can be linked.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:22 AM

maybe an alternative to grouping :
copy special all automation in Aux A,
paste special repeat to fill selection in Aux B
(in automation window everything disabled except desired parameters)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Yes, you can link the inserts in the Group Properties window so changes made to one, will be made to all.

For existing groups, right click and choose Modify Group and check the appropriate boxes there and the plugs can be linked.
Thanks Drew. This is definitely a great solution to the problem that I was having. I first highlighted each BG Stack Aux in the mix window, then created a group for those tracks. Then I went in to the Group Properties window and set it up to where if I open a plugin across the first insert of all the BG Stack Aux, for example, the plugin will now be linked. I can make parameter changes to one plugin and it will change the parameters to all that's located on the same insert that the plugin is on. I don't have to copy and paste or option drag.

But is there a way now so that I won't have to highlight the 10 tracks that I need to do this on, every single time? Is it possible to highlight just one BG Stack Aux track and all the BG Stack Aux tracks are then highlighted so that I can make the proper changes?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joachim View Post
maybe an alternative to grouping :
copy special all automation in Aux A,
paste special repeat to fill selection in Aux B
(in automation window everything disabled except desired parameters)
I'm going to try this as well. But is this automation on the track, or will it change the parameters within all the plugins on the aux track?
Old 09-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'm going to try this as well. But is this automation on the track, or will it change the parameters within all the plugins on the aux track?
make a selection in the aux track a , copy special all automation
click the name of aux track b (selection remains the same) paste special repat to fill (or Cmd+Alt+V)
or shift-select multiple aux tracks

since it copies all automation and plugin is enabled (red) in the automation window, all plugin automation from all inserts will be pasted

Quote:
But is there a way now so that I won't have to highlight the 10 tracks that I need to do this on, every single time? Is it possible to highlight just one BG Stack Aux track and all the BG Stack Aux tracks are then highlighted so that I can make the proper changes?
that should be a matter of enabling the group or disabling it in the mix group list (highlighted or not)
Win7 64bit Professional , i7 3930 Hexcore , 48GB Ram , SSD System + SSD PT Session/Audio + SSD Video (all Samsung 840 Evo) + Spinner 1TB Data , 2x Radeon HD 5450 \\ SD 633 Femto MKH8060 MKH8070 MKH30/MKH40 DPA4060
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM

I think a combination of what has been suggested in this thread is what you are seeking...

Make a template that has as many of the A, B, C, D, etc stacks as you want and group all stack A's, B's, C's, etc.... so they all now follow the 1st stack for each letter naming scheme.... and like you have been doing, hide what you dont need... to stop the rest from following, say you want one of the stack A's to have a slightly different setting in the plugin.. deselect the group and make the changes. To remove it from the group deselect it from the group and continue. If later you decide you want the slightly different setting you made on the 1st A stack to the others you can copy special and paste to multiple tracks...

So a combination of all of these suggestions gets what you are asking for.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Thanks everyone! Variations of all of these processes COMPLETELY sped up my workflow. This was good thread. Got tons of info!