How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 08-04-2021, 10:09 AM

Default Re: PT 11 unable to open in Big Sur 11.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
There’s no telling. Towards the end people complained about not getting the combo. I guess if you want to run protools on older systems I’d go with the combo and reinstatement. Reverb.com is reputable. The original reinstatement went for 299.00 but there’s no guarantee you’ll get the combo since it’s 2 years past pt 12.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Like I said it depended on what version of PT you were reinstating from. Being 2 years past PT12 means nothing. I reinstated in 2019 from PT 11 and that was more than 2 years past PT 11.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kelly View Post
I am not really understanding what you guys are calling the combo…

Am I correct that buying a reinstatement will just enter me into an update plan, which should allow me to update almost any of the available downloaders, and there’s a bunch of them on their site. As far back as PT 11, if I’m not mistaken.

Does a single current license pretty much operate any retroactive version?
Combo means a combo license asset on your iLok that allows you to run PT 10/11/12/permanent the latter being the current PT 2021.6. You can only run what your iLok license asset says. If you buy a new license or go subscription you only get a license for the current version of PT.

QAPLA!
Old 08-04-2021, 10:23 AM

Basically, if you have protools 11 and go for a reinstatement you might get a combo which gives you pt 10 11 and 12 as a combo which you can use to run the current version which uses 12. However, there’s no telling, and you want to save money. A subscription from a trade in saves you money, but you can’t run older pt versions. They tend to be going in that direction anyway. So there’s no guarantee they’ll give you a combo or just replace your pt11 with pt12.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinsong View Post
Basically, if you have protools 11 and go for a reinstatement you might get a combo which gives you pt 10 11 and 12 as a combo which you can use to run the current version which uses 12. However, there’s no telling, and you want to save money. A subscription from a trade in saves you money, but you can’t run older pt versions. They tend to be going in that direction anyway. So there’s no guarantee they’ll give you a combo or just replace your pt11 with pt12.

My fear a subscription is this… Maybe this is obvious… They’ll have me by the nuts then, and I’ll be locked into having to buy into whatever outrageous price they come up with every year in the future.

I have some coin now. I will unlikely have enough deniro every year to come up with subscription costs. I don’t think that’s the route I wanna take.

So, you guys are saying that it is unclear if I buy this reinstatement that I will be able to still have a license for my PT 11, which is solid on my PC? I don’t even know whether PT 12 will work on my PC. Guess I may need to Try the demo on there to find out.

I hate to give up my license to PT 11, one way or the other..
Old 08-04-2021, 10:48 AM

Another way of putting it is that they might ask for a pt12 asset for the reinstatement and you’re left looking for another pt 12 asset in addition to the reinstatement plan

Old 08-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Let me have a go; Mr.Kelly, first you should accept the fact that you got yourself into this by upgrading your OS to a version that PT11 never was meant to run on. And it seems that you don't have a backup that would have let you roll back to a place in time where things were working.

In my opinion, if you're not going to get a new computer and current version of PT, you should do the following:
• Get an external drive and make a disk image of your internal drive as it is now. (You can use it for regular backups later.)
• Format the internal drive and install Sierra.
• install PT11.
After checking that PT works as it should, make your first backup. Either with OSX Time Machine, or any commercially available backup application.
• Then start setting options, installing programs, and copying files over from the disk image you made in step 1.

It is well known that to have a solid stable installation of Pro Tools on a mac, this is the only way to make shure. We call it "a clean install". Some of us do it quite often, and most certainly when it comes to big steps in OS upgrades.

If things don't work out, you can easily copy back the disk image w/BigSur that you made, and you're back to square one.

(There are some details I left out in the procedure, for clarity, but I'd be glad to help out with any questions.)

(Edit: I wrote "install Sierra", but of course the latest OSX that PT11 is supported on is 10.10 Yosemity.)

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 08-04-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Let me have a go; Mr.Kelly, first you should accept the fact that you got yourself into this by upgrading your OS to a version that PT11 never was meant to run on. And it seems that you don't have a backup that would have let you roll back to a place in time where things were working.

In my opinion, if you're not going to get a new computer and current version of PT, you should do the following:
• Get an external drive and make a disk image of your internal drive as it is now. (You can use it for regular backups later.)
• Format the internal drive and install Sierra.
• install PT11.
After checking that PT works as it should, make your first backup. Either with OSX Time Machine, or any commercially available backup application.
• Then start setting options, installing programs, and copying files over from the disk image you made in step 1.

It is well known that to have a solid stable installation of Pro Tools on a mac, this is the only way to make shure. We call it "a clean install". Some of us do it quite often, and most certainly when it comes to big steps in OS upgrades.

If things don't work out, you can easily copy back the disk image w/BigSur that you made, and you're back to square one.

(There are some details I left out in the procedure, for clarity, but I'd be glad to help out with any questions.)

(Edit: I wrote "install Sierra", but of course the latest OSX that PT11 is supported on is 10.10 Yosemity.)
Thank you Ben, for your thoughts.

I am now jostling the two ideas… Either just shell out the 400 bucks for a reinstatement, and hope it includes keeping a license for PT 11, which is what I run on my PC, or do as you suggested, wiping my computer clean and start fresh. I do with that with my PC probably once every year or two.

I don’t really use my MacBook Air for much other than live recordings, and then I transfer it all off right away, so I don’t really have a big incentive to make back ups of the thing, and would not have predicted this current status. I guess that’s what backups are for, though. With so many things to do in life, I guess one has to prioritize… 😤😩

I go back-and-forth as to what to do… I guess the next step would be to do a test run of PT 12 on my PC, to see what kind of catastrophes I might be in for there. It’s been pretty bug free on my windows 10 system, so I can only cross my fingers that a new license would parlay onto my PC, as well. That would probably be the best case scenario.

As mentioned, it seems to be working OK on my MacBook now, but I won’t be able to test it in full for a bit.

I’m also just thinking of another potential problem… I may not be able to just transfer a PT 12 session onto my PC that runs only PT 11. Do any of you guys know whether PT 12 sessions can be imported into older platforms… backward compatible?
Old 08-04-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
I don’t really use my MacBook Air for much other than live recordings, and then I transfer it all off right away, so I don’t really have a big incentive to make back ups of the thing, and would not have predicted this current status.
In that case, why don't you just drop PT on your macbook air and use a simple free/affordable program for the recording. I know there are a few that can do the job.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
In that case, why don't you just drop PT on your macbook air and use a simple free/affordable program for the recording. I know there are a few that can do the job.
That was actually the third option I’ve been considering… I’ve used Reaper before, but I’ve been using PT since 2000, so there is almost 0 learning curve, and I can problem solve quickly when things come up.

I haven’t ruled that out, though.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:37 PM

Default PT 11 unable to open in Big Sur 11.5

Quote:
The other alternative is that I just cheap out, and find an inexpensive recording platform to use on location, and just transfer the audio files manually into my PC. A bit of a pain in the butt, but I’ve done it many times.
This is probably the easiest, cheapest and best option.

When you say ‘on location’ are you just tracking live performances? No editing, drop ins etc.? If so, then just grab a copy of Reaper and away you go. Once back in the studio, export the multi track files, import into PT and mix away.

The reality is, it will probably run more stable. It will definitely be more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
...When you say ‘on location’ are you just tracking live performances? No editing, drop ins etc.? If so, then just grab a copy of Reaper and away you go. Once back in the studio, export the multi track files, import into PT and mix away...
For location recordings, I rarely need to do anything except simple recordings. But ... every once in a while ... I need to edit or throw on a plug or route something out; I just use Pro Tools for both. It's easier on my brain to just use one DAW, same version, same OS etc. The laptop/location session opens in desktop/studio for edit & mix with no drama.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume