Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-12-2021, 08:35 AM

Default Exported Track Folders should retain contents

Proposed: when using Export/Selected Tracks as New Session..., and selecting a track folder or routing folder, its copy in the new session should have all of the contents from the source session. Can we get agreement on that? Seems kind of silly to export an empty track folder.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB

Last edited by daeron80; 06-12-2021 at 08:35 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-12-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Exported Track Folders should retain contents

Yes in 90% of the cases I'd want that too. in 100% of all cases with basic folders for sure.
However it can be useful to export just routing folders without the contained tracks if someone just needs the channel strip setup but not the audio tracks, so best would be to get check-boxes like "include contained tracks" in the export session dialogue box I think.

Or a logic like: When the folder is closed and exported, do all if the contained.
But when the folder is open just export what I selected.

Might be too confusing for people that don't read manuals so it might seem like a bug, but just a thought.

F.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Or a logic like: When the folder is closed and exported, do all if the contained.
But when the folder is open just export what I selected.
ooo, I like that.

Old 06-15-2021, 12:30 PM

One question that may matter here is: what will happen with the exported session? If its going to another PT user for editing or mixing, I would be inclined to export without any folders. Why(a great question), because the next engineer might not want any folders, or may want a very different layout as me(or you). when I send a session to someone else, I tend to strip it down to include only what they NEED(which means, I remove track folders, groups and all "non-standard" routing(which means all tracks will be feeding a single main stereo output). When I receive sessions that have track folders and fancy routing, I spend the first 30 minutes or so just removing all that so I can get down to the job without burning time trying to decipher someone else's workflow(which I may or may not like) or figuring out their routing(especially if buses are not named)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-15-2021, 01:41 PM

Sure, I would ask the next guy down the line what he prefers. My situation involves creating composing templates from which I want to export sections. E.g., orchestral template with all orch instruments plus piano, pads, and sub synths. I go to write a piece for brass only, so I want to export the masters, busses, and the brass folder to a new session. Bit of a waste of time to have to open the brass folder and select everything inside it, too.

Old 06-15-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daeron80 View Post
Sure, I would ask the next guy down the line what he prefers. My situation involves creating composing templates from which I want to export sections. E.g., orchestral template with all orch instruments plus piano, pads, and sub synths. I go to write a piece for brass only, so I want to export the masters, busses, and the brass folder to a new session. Bit of a waste of time to have to open the brass folder and select everything inside it, too.
Sounds to me like you are doing this backwards. Here's a couple of options:
#1-save your template session as a normal session. Create a new session and import only what you need from the template session.
#2-save as a template. Create a new session FROM that template. Delete whatever you don't need.
#3-create Track Presets for each scenario and call those up as needed within any session(even a blank one). Remember that Track Presets can actually be a set of tracks and not just a single track

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-16-2021, 12:50 AM

Completely agree whiting the OP ...
And I'd say the same thing when importing folder tracks

gugu
Old 06-16-2021, 06:14 AM

An option in the "save session as" dialog would be nice. A box that we can check to export folder contents would be perfect for me.

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 06-16-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Sounds to me like you are doing this backwards. Here's a couple of options:
#1-save your template session as a normal session. Create a new session and import only what you need from the template session.
#2-save as a template. Create a new session FROM that template. Delete whatever you don't need.
#3-create Track Presets for each scenario and call those up as needed within any session(even a blank one). Remember that Track Presets can actually be a set of tracks and not just a single track
Good thoughts. I started out trying #2, and it may turn out to be the best option given the current feature set. But it's really cumbersome with a Spitfire based orch template that contains dozens of folders with dozens of tracks in each, including ready-to-use stem tracks. The way they lay things out is with separate inst tracks for longs, shorts, and alternate articulations. The strings have four tracks per part, and they have a set of leader tracks in addition to groups. That's 40 inst tracks for BBC SO strings alone, plus several specialty string instruments, plus their reverb and fx chains. I love that as a composer. But as an engineer, it's a lot to deal with whether I'm selecting some or all those tracks for deletion.

I've tried #1 a few times but it's more cumbersome because the selection process is more difficult in the import dialogue, especially when selecting several discontiguous sections with dozens of tracks in each.

#3 - I can't imagine dealing with a list of around 200 track presets and recalling a a couple dozen of them one by one.

Honestly, if I could keep the folders closed in my template, and export only the folders I need, it would be a huge time saver.

Old 06-18-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiweke View Post
An option in the "save session as" dialog would be nice. A box that we can check to export folder contents would be perfect for me.
+1