Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2001, 07:50 AM

Default HOW TO ARCHIVE SCATTERED FILES?

I was originally instructed in one of these posts to divide my 30 gig hard drive up into smaller partitions so I did. Now, when I record, the song file and it's relevant files are strewn over 5 partitions as well as my main start-up drive which is checked as disabled.

Since all of these files are needed and are too large even for a jazz drive, my only choice is to burn them off to a CDR. How do I get all the needed files together in an intelligible organization? Can these files be reliably reloaded without frustration? How do I get files with the same names on different drives to not overwrite each other or require relabeling and such? This is really a messy way to have to manage several songs a week!

Also: Why is the software throwing peices of my recordings on my desktop and on my system volume rather than the specified drives (partitions) I assigned?

I can't record anything further until I free up disc space, so I appreciate any clear direction.

Thanks again,
the Push
Old 02-12-2001, 08:14 AM

Default Re: HOW TO ARCHIVE SCATTERED FILES?

Hiya Push, The problem you're having isn't anything new. The filing system PTLE uses takes a bit of getting use to.

I posted some suggestions over in the PTLE section as to how to easily rename & locate audio files that belong to specific songs.

Also there have been several threads here on the DUC with ideas on how to optomize your files, get rid of unwanted files, clean up your regions list & tidy up the Hard drive. Too much to put into one post, but if you do a little research I know there's some incredibly helpful info here.

Good Luck

------------------
C Ya, Stan
Good - Fast - Cheap
Pick Any Two
Old 02-13-2001, 07:37 AM
Avid

-Partitioning increases drive performance by constraining the headstack to a specific area on the drive However, accessing multiple partitions of the same drive simultaneously will have adverse affects on drive performance.

-Using a single partition for each session not only increases access times, but it also keeps all your audio/fade and session files in a single folder...making backup much easier.

-If you are using Round Robin Disk Allocation in the Setups>Disk Allocation window and the "use system drive" option is checked, audio files will be written to the currently active startup disk.

Brent
Old 02-13-2001, 08:50 AM

Push, If you have the hardrive space what you can do is open the session that has the scattered files...Then go under the file menu to save session copy as...once the window opens, select copy audio/fade files to folder as well select copy plugin's folder. Save the session to a partition with the most space and voila you have your session in one complete package...I know it duplicates the session but its all there...also if there are any files that you are not using you could remove them from the audio bin prior to saving a copy...select unused and SAVE SESSION AS....then proceed with the SAVE SESSION COPY AS fuction...This is great if there are files you never really needed to keep...or don't want to keep