Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2020, 01:18 PM

Default 7.1.4 hardware metering option

I am wondering what are you using for 7.1.4 external metering?
Ideally I would like to have an LCD screen like Clarity M with a Dante connection.
There is RTW TM7-Dante meter... but I am not in a league to spend $5k for the metering.

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2024.3 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 12-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Default Re: 7.1.4 hardware metering option

I’d like to know this too. My hope is that the Avid Control app would detach itself from requiring an interface to float an extra iPad for meters but that is yet to happen. I’ve not seen any decent “affordable” solution to fill the gap.

I’ve been using Flux Analyzer (which I like) that has a multichannel option that allegedly does up to 16 channels but I’m yet to see support for Atmos configurations. There’s a video here laying out a similar scenario you’re describing using Dante & the MTRX Studio to monitor 7.1 meters but I’ve yet to get it to implement anything wider than that. It’s a pretty cheap solution with a lot of options. Worth a look as it seems plausible that it could handle up to 9.1.6. Maybe, Jeff Komar can chime in with some clarification. He’d likely be the one to confirm as he most likely generated the video on YT anyway.

I’ll ping Flux in the interim. I’ve been meaning to reach out to them about it anyway.

-Chris
• DADman/Eucon monitoring
• BSS (DAN + 100), QSC DCA 1644, JBL 7 Series
• MTRX Studio // 7.1.4

www.quesound.com
Old 12-04-2020, 02:17 AM

Yes I know about the flux analyzer but since the studios infrastructure goes Dante rout these days, I feel that it would be very universal and logical to have a "simple" Dante LCD meter. Maybe Focusrite is the best hint to the future direction...though it only has the monitor controller (yet it has some small meters in it): https://pro.focusrite.com/category/a...item/rednet-r1

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 12-04-2020, 04:21 AM

Dante metering would be nice.
Until something affordable is available I just look at the MTRX Studio meters.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:44 AM

Haven't tried it myself but how about one of those bare-bones mini PCs (no fans, and super-small) with some simple VST-host that runs your favourite metering plugin? (RTW or whatever?) Just an example here or even smaller and I'm sure there are another 100 other options.
Install Dante Virtual sound card and patch whatever you want to it?

My colleague runs the RTW meter on his old MacMini fed by DVS as a stand-alone metering system. Works like charm, but the mini PC would probably cost way less.

Some people I know use this a lot even for PEC/DIR metering:

http://dspatial.com/sonda/

(mac only though)

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 12-04-2020 at 04:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
Haven't tried it myself but how about one of those bare-bones mini PCs (no fans, and super-small) with some simple VST-host that runs your favourite metering plugin? (RTW or whatever?) Just an example here or even smaller and I'm sure there are another 100 other options.
Install Dante Virtual sound card and patch whatever you want to it?

My colleague runs the RTW meter on his old MacMini fed by DVS as a stand-alone metering system. Works like charm, but the mini PC would probably cost way less.

Some people I know use this a lot even for PEC/DIR metering:

http://dspatial.com/sonda/

(mac only though)
Yes I thought about this option and the MacMini with DVS sounds very reasonable. I just thought I could avoid another KVM unit from machine room...

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

Old 12-04-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Yes I thought about this option and the MacMini with DVS sounds very reasonable. I just thought I could avoid another KVM unit from machine room...
That's the thing about these barebones PCs: They are so small you can attach them to the VESA mount to the back of the monitor so the only cabling you need is power and network. They are only in the 10-50W (or less) range so you might not even need to turn the thing off once it's setup.
No need for a KVM, you can setup a VNC and remote control that way.

All that said: I haven't set this up myself yet but I do have one of these units to run a firewall/router

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 12-04-2020 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewk View Post
I’d like to know this too. My hope is that the Avid Control app would detach itself from requiring an interface to float an extra iPad for meters but that is yet to happen. I’ve not seen any decent “affordable” solution to fill the gap.
-Chris
Avid Control Desktop can run on a separate computer and could feed a dedicated screen. Simple and cheap, but probably only 7.1.2, not sure.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
Avid Control Desktop can run on a separate computer and could feed a dedicated screen. Simple and cheap, but probably only 7.1.2, not sure.
I wish it were that simple. The Control Desktop app is still tied to the hardware right (S1 or S3)? That's one aspect to the design that feels limiting to me. And I think you're right in that it's mimicking the tracks in PT it would max out at 7.1.2. Still, the idea is great. I just think it'd be a much more user friendly app if it were an assignable "Master Meters" section similar to what the S6 offers. Just leave your masters parked and not banking as tracks.
• MTRX Studio // 7.1.4

www.quesound.com
Old 12-04-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
This is how I have mine running. DADman configured with pre-fader meter to DVS -> MacBook Pro running Pure Analyzer. Dead simple. Though I plan to migrate to a setup like what Frank mentioned with a dedicated PC and some kind of mini display. Just turn it on and leave it on.

Also, Flux already replied and said that Atmos metering is on their list of additions for 2021 for Pure Analyzer.
• MTRX Studio // 7.1.4

www.quesound.com