Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2021

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 07-07-2021, 01:52 PM
Emi's Avatar
Emi Emi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Madrid. Spain
Posts: 515
Default Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by epmi View Post
I'm assuming these beachballs are happening on 8 Gb versions?? I'm on a Mac mini 16 GB and am having no issues. Yes, it's only using 4 performance cores even though Logic can run on all 8, but it's less buggy than Logic for me. Running video off of Video Sync or Logic via IAC, btw. Not sure why PT can't do video.. again.

I did have a not-enough-RAM notification at one point, but I'm not able to reproduce.
I'm on a 16gb ram m1 Mac mini and getting beach balls.
__________________
Mac Mini M1 | Mac OS Big Sur 11.5 | Motu 16A | Motu 828ES | Motu 1248 | Pro Tools 2021.7 Native
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-08-2021, 06:53 AM
Pedro Garcia BR Pedro Garcia BR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rio de Janeiro Brazil
Posts: 13
Default Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

16gb version here. Beach balls every 40 seconds. even in a session without any plugin.

can it be the waves just installed?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-08-2021, 07:09 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 21,934
Default Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Garcia BR View Post
16gb version here. Beach balls every 40 seconds. even in a session without any plugin.

can it be the waves just installed?
It may be or may not be. First realise is PT is not Apple Silicon native and neither is Waves. Any random things may happen.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-08-2021, 11:55 AM
epmi epmi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9
Default Re: Only 4 cores system usage on M1 Macs

That being said... Not to be all you-tubey about it and give examples that aren't quite real-world, 200+ tracks playing back without a hitch is pretty impressive. Granted, just a few midi tracks and few plug-ins, but still. 40% memory pressure. And Chrome was open.


Last edited by epmi; 07-08-2021 at 12:07 PM. Reason: IMG won't post
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-22-2021, 01:21 AM
theguitarfreak theguitarfreak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 6
Default Only 4 cores in M1 Mac PT 2021.6

My M1 Mac Mini system usage meter shows only 4 cores being utilised by PT 2021.6. While Avid has already mentioned this on their website, can the the other 4 cores be at all utilised by Pro Tools in the future? The reason i ask this is because currently my CPU usage is almost 80% while running full mix sessions, and unless PT can use the 8 cores of M1, this CPU is underpowered for me.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-22-2021, 03:28 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 21,934
Default Re: Only 4 cores in M1 Mac PT 2021.6

The extra four cores are unpredictable. You cannot use them in a realtime software like Pro Tools
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-22-2021, 03:38 AM
theguitarfreak theguitarfreak is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 6
Default Re: Only 4 cores in M1 Mac PT 2021.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The extra four cores are unpredictable. You cannot use them in a realtime software like Pro Tools
Damn! The M1 doesn't seem to be as powerful then with just 4 usable cores. I wish i had stuck to my i7 10700.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-22-2021, 08:24 PM
Teej Teej is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 165
Default Re: Only 4 cores in M1 Mac PT 2021.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
The extra four cores are unpredictable. You cannot use them in a realtime software like Pro Tools
Considering the real-world performance difference between 2021.6 (4 cores) and 2021.3.1 (8 cores), either you are wrong, or they royally screwed something else up.

If nothing is screwed up and this is simply "safer", they should add an option to use all cores for those happy to take the "risk" (2021.3.1 on my M1 is the fastest PT system I've ever used.)
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" (2018) / macOS 11.5.1 / PTU 2021.7
MacMini M1 (2020) / macOS 11.5.1 / PTU 2021.3.1 / MOTU 112D
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-22-2021, 09:50 PM
Obsidian Dragon Obsidian Dragon is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 4,176
Default Re: Only 4 cores in M1 Mac PT 2021.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teej View Post
Considering the real-world performance difference between 2021.6 (4 cores) and 2021.3.1 (8 cores), either you are wrong, or they royally screwed something else up.

If nothing is screwed up and this is simply "safer", they should add an option to use all cores for those happy to take the "risk" (2021.3.1 on my M1 is the fastest PT system I've ever used.)
My understanding (I don't work for Apple or Avid) is that the issue is not with using efficiency cores or not. It has to do with changing how the code is written to use the GPU built into the SOC (System on a Chip) design. While Protools 2021.3.1 runs well using the older code written to an integrated GPU or a discrete GPU, the M1's SOC design with the GPU on the same chip as the CPU can be optimized with new code. That code is not ready yet, hence the disclaimer that Protools 2021.6 does not support the video engine on M1 machines. Obviously the lack of such code (or more likely the incomplete iteration of code) is not working well on M1 systems and therefore performs worse than 2021.3.1 as we've discovered. Is it a screw up? That depends on how you look at it. I prefer to think of it as a hurdle that Avid needs to get through as advances in processor development marches forward. Apple changing from Intel processors to Apple silicon is a pretty drastic change for code. Protools is still using Rosetta 2 as an intermediate solution. I am hopeful that an M1 (M2, M1x,...) native version of Protools is in progress. In the meantime, stick with what works for you if that is 2021.3.1.
__________________
Obsidian Dragon
MacBookPro14,3 - Intel Core i7 3.1 GHz, 16 GB
MacOS 11.5.1 running Protools 2021.7
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-23-2021, 03:38 AM
Southsidemusic's Avatar
Southsidemusic Southsidemusic is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Stockholm - Sweden
Posts: 13,562
Default Re: Only 4 cores in M1 Mac PT 2021.6

Whats the real issue here? The other 4 cores are ”virtual” as in NOT REAL CORES so who cares as long as the M1 macs are faster!?
__________________
Best Regards
Christopher

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Total PT System Usage: CPU Usage at 100% with Nothing Running TMNTfan Pro Tools 2019 11 11-28-2019 04:34 AM
Real CPU Usage vs. Pro Tools System Usage Window tbonesteak4dinner Pro Tools 11 19 02-21-2019 08:04 PM
RAM Usage Display and x2 number of cores clubber Pro Tools 11 1 04-02-2014 04:46 AM
New Macs Pros 12 cores coming this month! Is HD 'really' necessary anymore? Violet General Discussion 11 08-09-2010 12:47 PM
HTDM not showing CPU usage in the system usage Brandonx1 Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win) 3 12-19-2004 09:45 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com