How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2023, 01:26 AM

Default PT 2022.12 Disappears From Programs and Features List

Hi everyone,

I've had this problem before in 22.12, but I don't seem to remember how I solved it then. I remember someone else complaining about this.
PT sometimes disappears from the Windows Programs and Features list, but it continues working normally most of the time, though I occasionally see erratic behavior in PT when this happens.
Trashing prefs doesn't help and I have to re-install PT only for it to happen again shortly after. It appears to be random; I haven't been able to pinpoint any particular action that causes this.
I've checked Windows thoroughly; chkdsk, sfc and dism don't show anything wrong.
Any help would be most welcome.
Old 05-15-2023, 08:27 AM

Default Re: PT 2022.12 Disappears From Programs and Features List

I can't say I've ever had this happen with PT and I've been on Windows a long time. I'm guessing when you say it 'disappears from the Windows Programs and Features list' that you are referring to the old Windows list where you would uninstall applications from. When this happens, does it also disappear from the new Installed Apps list? Also, when you say it acts erratically, what is exactly happening? Does it no longer start or does something within the running app no longer work?

Something like this would appear to be more of an issue with your system than PT. It's possible something is corrupting the installation. Maybea virus or maleware tool? If you run anything like that, it could be deleting files needed by PT. Are there any other security or system performance tools you can turn off to see if the problem stops?

System Details
Old 05-15-2023, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
I can't say I've ever had this happen with PT and I've been on Windows a long time. I'm guessing when you say it 'disappears from the Windows Programs and Features list' that you are referring to the old Windows list where you would uninstall applications from. When this happens, does it also disappear from the new Installed Apps list? Also, when you say it acts erratically, what is exactly happening? Does it no longer start or does something within the running app no longer work?

Something like this would appear to be more of an issue with your system than PT. It's possible something is corrupting the installation. Maybea virus or maleware tool? If you run anything like that, it could be deleting files needed by PT. Are there any other security or system performance tools you can turn off to see if the problem stops?
Junkgear, thanks for your response. I've used PT for over 20 years, and I only saw this for the first time last year. The 'old' list still exists in W11, so it isn't really old, is it? PT disappears from both that one and the "Installed Apps " list.

By erratically I mean random stalls and freezes while working that sometimes require a Windows restart. That only happens occasionally; PT usually continues working OK. Panda Antivirus is always off when I'm running PT. Windows Defender has all pertinent PT folders excluded. The first time I posted about this, I saw that someone else had complained about the same issue.

I recalled an old system image, but the issue still persists. I've used both Panda and Win Defender to scan the system, and the results don't show anything wrong.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:12 AM

This still doesn't make sense. The entries for the installed programs list are stored in the Windows registry, so unless there is some sort of registry cleaner or some other program deleting them, then Pro Tools should show up.

Also, when this does happen, you are able to run Pro Tools, which means it hasn't actually been uninstalled. This still leads me to believe there is something going on with your system and not really a Pro Tools issue.

Although cumbersome to do, maybe you could try performing a clean boot, re-installing Pro Tools and seeing if the problem persists?

System Details
Old 05-15-2023, 01:33 PM

Quote:
This still doesn't make sense. The entries for the installed programs list are stored in the Windows registry, so unless there is some sort of registry cleaner or some other program deleting them, then Pro Tools should show up.

Also, when this does happen, you are able to run Pro Tools, which means it hasn't actually been uninstalled. This still leads me to believe there is something going on with your system and not really a Pro Tools issue.

Although cumbersome to do, maybe you could try performing a clean boot, re-installing Pro Tools and seeing if the problem persists?
I've tried all that, but I'll do it again and remove all traces of PT before reinstalling it. I share your view that the problem could be from Windows. But no other program disappears except PT, and I find that very strange. The issue doesn't uninstall PT. It still works except for the fact that it's not on Window's program list.
Old 05-16-2023, 02:04 AM

Quote:
The difficult part of this is that the troubleshooting/sifting process doesn't bring PT back onto the list when it's disappeared and it gives no warning when it's going to disappear (it could be in the middle of a session and you only realize it when you make a move and there's no response. Checking then is too late because it's already gone).
The other important point you raised was the possibility of registry cleaners erasing useful registry entries. I use Glary Utilities, but I'll lay off PC cleaning/optimization via Glary for some time and watch. I'll also lay off Windows Disk Cleaning for some time.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:51 PM

Junkgear,
For now, it certainly looks as if Glary Utilities is the culprit. I used to clean/optimize the system every few days, but for 4 days or so that I haven't done that, PT has remained on the list and has been working as expected. If it's still there after about a week I'll know for sure, and I'll have to look for another cleaner/optimizer. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 05-17-2023, 05:22 PM

Hopefully that is the issue and your system returns to normal. Please let me know of your findings.

System Details
Old 05-17-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I've tried all that, but I'll do it again....
Uninstall PT. Search boot drive for any and all leftover AVID or Digidesign junk, manually delete. CCleaner clean and CCleaner reg clean. Windows updates. Defender scan. Get a new, clean download of the PT installer. Reboot. Re-install PT.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-18-2023, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Uninstall PT. Search boot drive for any and all leftover AVID or Digidesign junk, manually delete. CCleaner clean and CCleaner reg clean. Windows updates. Defender scan. Get a new, clean download of the PT installer. Reboot. Re-install PT.
Hey EGS,

Thanks for your input. I'd done all of the above (I usually clean out all remnants from previous PT installations before reinstalling, I update Windows on a very regular basis, and Defender scans are my friend ) except for the CCleaner bit. Funny, after using CCleaner reliably for maybe 15 years, someone recently convinced me to try Glary Utilities.

Not using GU for some time seems to have solved the problem. It looks like over-zealous PC cleaning was removing useful stuff. Still watching though, I'll be absolutely certain in a few more days. I'm definitely going back to CCleaner!