Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 02-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Default Transfuser - MidiFile from Drum-Sequence ?

Hi,

I searched the manual hi and low but couldn't find it:

Is it possible to create a midi file from the Drum-Sequence so that I can edit the single notes directly in ProTools and use the single sounds of the Drums-Synthesizer instead ?
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Transfuser - MidiFile from Drum-Sequence ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post
Hi,

Is it possible to create a midi file from the Drum-Sequence so that I can edit the single notes directly in ProTools and use the single sounds of the Drums-Synthesizer instead ?
Well, that depends. You can access individual drum parts in Transfuser and even change the sample. Here's one tutuorial on that. See if that's helpful to you.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Hi,

The simple answer is yes. Left click on the key of the pattern from the drum sequencer you want and drag and drop it into the edit window. It will ask you if you want to place it in a track or in the clip window.

Set the drum sequencer to play pads and send your new midi file to Transfuser on the midi channel you have assigned to the drum sequencer. It will now play back as originally. Now you can edit the file as you wish.

You could have also done this without exporting the midi by using the same routing procedure.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "use the single sound." If you just want to trigger a single sound, just use your midi keyboard to find the note to trigger what you want and create your triggering midi that way.

If you mean send each pad sound to a separate audio output for tracking, that's another issue.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFT View Post
The simple answer is yes. Left click on the key of the pattern from the drum sequencer you want and drag and drop it into the edit window. It will ask you if you want to place it in a track or in the clip window.

Set the drum sequencer to play pads and send your new midi file to Transfuser on the midi channel you have assigned to the drum sequencer. It will now play back as originally. Now you can edit the file as you wish.
Hi DFT,

great - thx a lot. This was exactly what I was looking for. Could you tell me where this feature is explained in the manual ?
Quote:
You could have also done this without exporting the midi by using the same routing procedure.
I donno what you've meant by this - maybe you can explain it quickly ?
Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "use the single sound." If you just want to trigger a single sound, just use your midi keyboard to find the note to trigger what you want and create your triggering midi that way.
A single sample which is assigned to a DrumPad - just like it is working now after you explained it :)
Quote:
If you mean send each pad sound to a separate audio output for tracking, that's another issue.
No - I meant exactly what you explained.

Thx again
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM

Talking Re: Transfuser - MidiFile from Drum-Sequence ?

Quote:
Hi DFT,

great - thx a lot. This was exactly what I was looking for. Could you tell me where this feature is explained in the manual ?
No. I've only had Transfuser about 3 weeks. I haven't read the manual ... yet!

I did look through the Index for MIDI export, but couldn't find anything. I did some google searches on 'Transfuser MIDI Export' and came across the answer.

Quote:
Hi DFT,

I donno what you've meant by this - maybe you can explain it quickly ?

Thx again
What I meant was you can directly make your own MIDI drum part or loop in the regular midi tracks ... or import one to pro tools if you have a MIDI drum collection and use that. There is nothing magic about the patterns that come with the Transfuser Tracks, although there are some very good ones.

It depends whether you want to trigger the drums entirely externally from a MIDI track or instead use external MIDI to trigger the patterns (really, just little MIDI clips) from within the drum sequencer by using the octave of MIDI notes that select one or the other of the 12 patterns.

I wasn't clear on whether you wanted to do this to edit the patterns and then reimport them to the drum sequencer or to trigger the pads in the sequencer entirely from an external MIDI track.

Both methods have advantages. Triggering MIDI notes entirely/ individually externally means you can have total control of the MIDI across the timeline of your song with easy access to editing.

Using external MIDI to trigger the patterns in the drum sequencer means that you can tweak any or all of the 12 patterns with the different parameters, i.e., filter, decay, level, etc., for instant tonal variations of your drums and also save the edited patterns for future use.

It's not really an 'either/ or,' but a 'both/ and.' Make your tweaks in the patterns for 12 variations and then drag them one at a time to your clip region and assemble them in your track.

Happy sequencing!
Old 03-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
What I meant was you can directly make your own MIDI drum part or loop in the regular midi tracks ... or import one to pro tools if you have a MIDI drum collection and use that. There is nothing magic about the patterns that come with the Transfuser Tracks, although there are some very good ones.
Oh ok - yes of course I knew that. I'm just mixing pretty often loops (either midi or audio) with my self played midi sequences and sounds for drums. Mostly using Battery and/or Kontakt5.

It's just sometimes when I look for a quick loop in Transfuser (or RMX) that I like to grab the MidiPatternSequence and change some notes of it within ProTools so that they "might" fit better than the "preset" MidiSequence to my already existing drumming.

Thx again for you explanation - was really helpful