Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2011, 07:16 AM

Default No output from midi on audio track record enabled.

thanks for looking. i started using pt9 three weeks ago. got a Boom track and two midi tracks, bass from Juno, synth from MicroKorg, which i both transfered to audio tracks after editing. I'm trying to do a synth Gaia track : midi records, but no playback on audio track, so can't record on audio track. Any idea why ?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 PM

Default Re: No output from midi on audio track record enabled.

Hardware connections audio to audio interface? Corresponding Pro Tools track assignments?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirl36 View Post
thanks for looking. i started using pt9 three weeks ago. got a Boom track and two midi tracks, bass from Juno, synth from MicroKorg, which i both transfered to audio tracks after editing. I'm trying to do a synth Gaia track : midi records, but no playback on audio track, so can't record on audio track. Any idea why ?
Not enough info to really offer any advice here. When you say "transferred to audio tracks" do you mean you recorded a part on a MIDI track, and then had that MIDI track play back some hardware synth, with the audio routed back to PT to record it? OR, do you mean you used the MIDI track to trigger some VI instantiated on an instrument track? Either way, you need to be sure you're hardware audio outputs are correctly connected to whatever your PT interface is so that the audio signal is actually getting to the audio track you want to record on. Easy enough to tell...if you record arm a track and play the synth, you should see the signal registering on the audio track. If not, check your connections.

If you are routing audio output from a VI to an audio track be sure the OUTPUT bus from the instrument track corresponds to the INPUT bus of the audio track you want to record on. Hope that helps a bit.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Not enough info to really offer any advice here. When you say "transferred to audio tracks" do you mean you recorded a part on a MIDI track, and then had that MIDI track play back some hardware synth, with the audio routed back to PT to record it? OR, do you mean you used the MIDI track to trigger some VI instantiated on an instrument track? Either way, you need to be sure you're hardware audio outputs are correctly connected to whatever your PT interface is so that the audio signal is actually getting to the audio track you want to record on. Easy enough to tell...if you record arm a track and play the synth, you should see the signal registering on the audio track. If not, check your connections.

If you are routing audio output from a VI to an audio track be sure the OUTPUT bus from the instrument track corresponds to the INPUT bus of the audio track you want to record on. Hope that helps a bit.
First case of both. Thanks for answer. Language is starting to be a bit complicated for me ! I thought about this today. I'm sure my problem has to do with the channels or the bus. With my first tracks, i always used channel 1. I think that for this third midi track, i have to select another channel. This is not addressed in the Hal Leonard videos... If someone could tell me how i should manoeuver channels and/or busses when recording many tracks on one project, even though i record one instrument at a time. Yes, i used hardware synths... Thanks.