Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Default Mtc sync issue/ mpc 2000xl/ pt 8

I have always used MIDI TIME CODE to track my beats from my MPC as the Master but recently I started getting an error message when I want to Start Recording once I hit play on my MPC and Pro Tools is Online:

"The Incoming Timecode was later than the record start time. Pro Tools will be taken offline. Please make sure your source time code is earlier than your record start time and try again."

The funny thing is If I were to hit start on my MPC and have recording enabled it seems to lock fine and then at that point I can Punch In and it will lock up.

I never had to do this though and Id like to have every track locked form the beginning instead of having to press play and then punch in again to record.

My MPC and Pro Tools are set up according to how they should be according to this: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=34

and I never remember having this problem before. It would just be a bit less annoying to hit play and have everything record from the top.

Im running PT 8 on a MAC Pro 2 x 3 Dual-Core Intel Xeon with OS 10.5.8

This has recently started happening any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Evergreen Audio Design Group

Default Re: Mtc sync issue/ mpc 2000xl/ pt 8

I expect there are a few things that might be going on...

First, check your preferences in the Operations pane. What is "Online Options:" set to, the choices are "Record Online at Insertion/Selection" or "Record Online at Time Code (or ADAT) Lock"?

I expect you have "insertion/selection" selected. If this is the case, you are telling Pro Tools to start recording wherever the selection point is. In this workflow, you must start the MTC rolling several seconds before this point (3 to 5 is best). This allows Pro Tools to "lock" to the MTC and start playback at the selection point. If you don't start the MTC early enough you will get this dialog.

If you just want Pro Tools to lock playback as soon as possible, use the "Record Online at Time Code Lock" setting. Pro Tools will start recording as soon as it can lock.

Another setting you probably want to be aware of is the "Open-Ended Record Allocation". Make sure you limit this to something small-ish. 5 to 10 minutes is ideal. The smaller this value is the faster Pro Tools can start recording. If you have "Use All Available Space" selected, it can take Pro Tools 5 to 10 or more seconds to start recording. In the MTC chase case, you would need to start the MTC rolling 10 or more seconds before your selection point, yuck!
Old 08-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Mtc sync issue/ mpc 2000xl/ pt 8

Thanks alot for that! I used the Record Online at Time Code Lock setting as well as made sure my record allocation is set to 5 minutes now.

Pro Tools is locking great.

My only other question is this when I am tracking, lets say my kick drum, I notice that teh longer I let it record the more its eems to drift. I have tinkered with the Playback Engine Buffer size and tried to increase or decrease the sample amounts but for every ioe of these it drifts.

Meaning, If I have a 4 Bar Loop and I let it record for 16 bars each Kick transient will be a bit "pushed" or out of sync from the next so If I go to bar 1 I see that the kick transient is in one place and if I go to bar 5 the beginning of the kick transient ahs moved forward. Is there a "Best" setting for this as Im worried that once I playback all of my tracks It may be the slightest few milliseconds off but I know that may result in the swing of my track feeling a bit different than what I had on My MPC.

I know this may be an example of getting some external clock but id like to know for teh future what my best option would be.

BTW, after I record my tracks I sometimes feel its necessary to "nudge" the kick to where I believe it should start , like bringing it to the very bginning but I know thas not exacst and I definitely want to replicate EXACTLY whats coming from my MPC so I can then mix in Pro Tools.

Thanks!