Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 01-10-2013, 11:11 AM

Default Would you go from Snow Leopard to Lion (not Mountain Lion) if you could?

So I have one of the older '07 MacPros that can do Lion but not Mountain Lion. I'm still holding at Snow Leopard. I just found out that I can still get Lion from Apple if I want to. Question is, do I want to? I have zero experience with Lion.I DO have Mountain Lion on another machine here, but not running PT on that one.

So there's my basic question. Are ther any pros and/or cons to moving to Lion 7.4 from Snow Leopard? Will I regret it? Love it? Anyone?
Old 01-10-2013, 12:18 PM

I think the only pros that were related to pro tools going to lion for me ah well let's just say there weren't any I didn't notice any significant difference

Now outside of ProTools two big differences that I found really helpful were resizing the finder window and searching from the address bar inside of Safari

That's it
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Would you go from Snow Leopard to Lion (not Mountain Lion) if you could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
So I have one of the older '07 MacPros that can do Lion but not Mountain Lion. I'm still holding at Snow Leopard. I just found out that I can still get Lion from Apple if I want to. Question is, do I want to? I have zero experience with Lion.I DO have Mountain Lion on another machine here, but not running PT on that one.

So there's my basic question. Are ther any pros and/or cons to moving to Lion 7.4 from Snow Leopard? Will I regret it? Love it? Anyone?
For me the main reason was iCloud which needs 10.7 to work. I updated (had to update) after they shut down MobileMe last year.

Beside that no benefit but also no disadvantage.
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 01-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Exclamation Re: Would you go from Snow Leopard to Lion (not Mountain Lion) if you could?

Apple should continue to release security updates for Lion until the successor to Mountain Lion ships. Any security holes in Snow Leopard are likely to go unpatched.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Would you go from Snow Leopard to Lion (not Mountain Lion) if you could?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post

I HATED LION. So much that I just erased it and went back to Snow Leopard. Seriously, just use a $20 bill as a kleenex or toilet paper, it will be better use of it.

I can't think of any advantages it has over Snow Leopard, just a lot of drawbacks, the most annoying being the lack of "Save As". Yes, there's no "Save As". What stupidity possesed them to remove a command that is as essential to using a computer as the power button is beyond my comprehension. Instead, apple though it would be more convenient for you to "Duplicate", and then rename the duplicate.

They got smart in ML, and bought back the Save As feature. I have both a ML and SL partition now, but I still spend most of my time on SL. I will probably move to ML permanently eventually, but I just haven't had enough time for it to prove itself yet.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 01-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanswurstlsepp View Post

Beside that no benefit but also no disadvantage.
What he said ^^^^
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
the most annoying being the lack of "Save As". Yes, there's no "Save As". What stupidity possesed them to remove a command that is as essential to using a computer as the power button is beyond my comprehension.
I thought they just renamed it 'DUPLICATE'. Wasn't that the deal? Or was the functionality of DUPLICATE different also?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:12 AM

Duplicate, Unlock etc.... new forms of access to "save as" if written into the app.
Most power apps like Pro Tools retain the save as menu path.

Cloud calendars was my incentive. I still run most my systems at 10.6.8.
Zero in 10.8

As with most versions of OS-X, I turn off many features like dashboard, spotlight for media drives, F keys OS features not primary..... (nor recommended in Pro Tools install guides).
Old 01-11-2013, 07:04 AM

I just upgraded from 10.6.8 to 10.7.5. I was getting stuck notes when using Vienna Ensemble Pro 5, and I heard this would remedy that situation. So far, so good.

I upgrade only when I need to.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM

i use SL ,and its a rock.....i ain't going NOWHERE......at this point in my busy life, the LAST thing i need is for my basic tools to stop working.