Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Smile tech opinion needed

I have a 15 month continuing audio conflict on my intel iMac and only discovered, by accident, the/a reason for it. Mbox2mini into iMac running PT 7.4.2, but don't experience any PT problems. When the BeachBall Spins, it's always in other audio apps.

I had System Preferences/Sound Open as I was testing the Mbox2Mini input and comparing to alternative mic plugged into Line-in on the back of the iMac. Switching back& forth, I observed that when the Mbox was on, but the mic was NOT ON, even UNplugged, Sound Preferences showed Mic Input, sometimes!

I checked this many times. It doesn't always occur. What I began doing is this: Whenever I get the Spinning BeachBall, I go to Sys Pref's/Sound and check, and in every case it shows Mic Input even without a Mic connected.

I checked my Digi Guidebook, then tried something NEW--- instead of Shutting Down the "hung" computer, I simply pull out the Mbox2 USB cable, then plug it in again, and VOILA, the Mbox lights up, and the Mic Input Signal is gone and my Computer is "Free" until the next time.

IS IT BROKE? Yesterday I was told at Guitar Center that it doesn't pay to repair, if it needs it, just "toss it and buy new" it's cheaper. NICE!

I'd really like to hear from someone about this because it might relate to the fact that when I record in iMovie using the Mbox2Mini I am only getting one audio channel of voiceover, and APPLE sez its not their problem. MAYBE.

C'mon you Tech-Types... Give an Opinion Pleze....... Thanx loads.