Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-24-2013, 08:20 PM

Default ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel.

I'm very new to pro tools but I just purchased Pro Tools 11.0 just to record vocals.

I'm using
Pro tools 11
Dell laptop windows 7 64 bit operating system 4.00 gb ram installed
focusrite scarlett 2i2

This is what happens every time I try opening pro tools after installing.

Once I open pro tools and click create a blank session. I come across this message

(ASIO device properties have been changed by the device property panel. Pro tools must be restarted for these changes to take affect. Please restart pro tools).
It gives me save or quit option. I click quit and then it freezes a bit before closing. If I save the session I'm able to open the session up without the error above appearing but then if I try importing audio I get this (Pro tools could not initialize the Focusrite USB 2.0 Audio Driver. Please make sure that the device has been configured correctly.) I downloaded the Focusrite USB 2 latest driver and still nothing.

If anyone has some troubleshooting advice please shoot some my way, pro tools is so technical it's overwhelming like crazy. I feel like I'm very close to finally recording.

thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2013, 10:54 PM

Default Re: ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel.

This may happen if the settings for the session you are trying to create in PT do not match those currently loaded in the Scarlett interface. I have no experience with Scarlett, so not sure what exactly causes this in your case. But this is basically what will happen if my interface is set to 44.1Khz and I attempt to create a 48Khz session in PT (or vice versa, if the interface is set to 48 and I try to create a 44.1 session in PT). Try to check if those settings match, maybe it would solve it.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:54 AM

Default Re: ASIO device properties have been changed by the device control panel.

mdinarawk. Same problem here since switching to the Focusrite 2i4. As I understand there is nothing to be done to permanently correct this problem. As Alexiz says it's a result of trying to record a session with a different bit rate than the rate set in the 2i2 setup. For instance the new session at 48khz and the 2i2 set at 44khz. There are things you can do but nothing seems to change this once and for all. Try going to SOUNDS in your Control panel, (I'm on Windows), and selecting an option other than the 2i2 or NO Sounds! Focuseite is aware of the conflict but says it's a Pro Tools issue. As far as I know Pro Tools has not addressed the problem and probably won't! It's aggravating but it only takes a couple of minutes to restart Pro tools. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 PM

Thank you both for the info. I ended up switching my interface to a digidesign mbox mini2 and now it works with no issues. Finally in business!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Focusrite

Hello medinarawk and Terry Wetzel,

Let me try to help and clear up some confusion for you.

There are two types of drivers in use on your Windows computer. The OS uses WDM for basic programs like iTunes, Windows Media Player, Internet Explorer. DAWs such as Pro Tools use the ASIO Driver.

Sometimes you can find that if Windows is set to a different Sample Rate than the Pro Tools session an occasional request for Sample Rate change from Windows, say for a simple beep sound, can grab the interface and change it's Sample Rate, which Pro Tools will detect and then it will relaunch.

The easiest way to prevent this is to make sure your Windows Sounds are set to the same Sample Rate as your Pro Tools Session. Do this in Start Menu > Control Panel > Sounds > Scarlett > Properties > Advanced.

Additionally I notice the OP had a different error message, where in Pro Tools Playback Engine they selected Focusrite USB Audio Driver and got "Unable to Initialize the Focusrite USB 2 ASIO Driver."

This can be caused by a few other things, such as another program using the device, sample rate mismatch with windows, or even a need for Deleting Preferences and Databases.

First you should make sure you have the latest driver, currently 2.5.1 for Windows 7 and 8 and 2.4 for XP: http://us.focusrite.com/downloads?product=Scarlett+2i2

After install, make sure that the Windows Sample Rate is set to that intended for your new session.

Open Pro Tools by right clicking and choosing Run as Administrator. Hold down the 'N' key while loading Pro Tools. This will Launch the Playback Engine before the Quick Start.

See if you can now select the Focusrite USB2 Audio Driver here.

If you are still having trouble we are always happy to help you. Please contact us here: http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 07-06-2015, 02:18 PM

HI, Rick here.
I've been having the same problem with ProTools 10 and 11 every time I need to switch bit rates or number of channels, etc. Then it seems to get into a "exiting pro tools" audio setting have changed error loop. I can not load in a session with a different bit rate. I work with video and audio projects so depending on what project im working on, I have to change bitrate.

I found a rather weird work around.
1. Initial state: ProTools is not launched. Audio Interface turned on.
2. If your audio device has manual bit rate setting, set those to your liking.
3. Launch pro tools and set playback engine and hardware to match.
4. Open a NEW project without using a template. Just a simple blank project.
5. You will notice it did not crash like when you open a previously started project.
6. Close the blank session
7. Open your previously started project.
8. It seems to open ok.

I should note that this problem does NOT occur on the Fasttrack 600. ALSO this problem does NOT occur using Native Instruments in stand alone mode. Doing that, I can change bit rates as much as I want.

Regards,
Rick
p.s. I really hate when pro tool WILL NOT EXIT without using the task manager kill process function.

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Intel Core i7-4930 at 3.4Ghz
Ram: 32GB
Boot: SSD 1TB
Record Drive: SSD 1TB
Pro Tools: 11.3.1
Interface: Steinberg UR824 and Focusrite Octopre (16 Channels 8+8)