Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Default PT11HD without hardware - is it possible or not?

Reading this:
"Pro Tools|HD Audio Interface Required
All Pro Tools|HD systems require the presence of at least one Pro Tools|HD audio interface (purchased separately). Additional interfaces can be added to extend your I/O capabilities."

Is it no longer possible to be able to run PT11HD without Avid Hardware?

I do sincerely hope that I'm reading it wrong...
Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Re: PT11HD without hardware - is it possible or not?

I think you're misreading. I believe what they're saying is if you're using HD PCI cards (HD Native or HDX) then you need an interface as well since the cards don't have I/O of their own.

They're allowing PT10 + CPTK customers who don't have HD hardware to upgrade to PT11HD software, so it must run without HD hardware.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM

I hope you are right.
I'm not convinced you are though until I get a official answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-09-2013, 10:47 AM

The EXACT same language is used in the PT10HD system requirements, and that runs fine using CoreAudio interfaces. It's a terminology thing - "Audio Interface" in the world of PTHD means the I/O box that plugs into the PCI cards, not the cards themselves.

But you're welcome to continue to be a sceptic if you like, seems like you're hoping for bad news for some reason.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:49 AM

That's correct.

To elaborate on this, I have HD Native and Omni.

If my Omni is not turned on, and I launch Protools, at a certain point during startup it tells me "no HD interface detected" and that I must choose anothe audio engine (built in output, 3rd party interface, etc.).

This is referring to that aspect. Basically an HD Native or HDX card by itself is a useless brick if you don't have your HD interface hooked up and turned on.

This is a different issue than using the HD software with other interfaces, which, as stated, works fine.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

From the Avid PT11 Webinar yesterday:

Quote:
HD software with still work on a non-DSP system and still give you many of the HD features
and

Quote:
PT 11HD will run on a native system with no I/O connected as a minimum config as long as you have a PT HD ilok asset
Old 04-09-2013, 11:20 AM

Thank you!

No I do not wish for that kind of bad news. Although we mostly use Nuendo by choice, we still want to be able to offer PT in all our nine Edit rooms (and on our dubstage off course) and we need 5.1 and VCAs etc.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:00 PM

Edit: frustration and incomplete information lead to my incorrect conclusion below.

So ignore this:

And unfortunately you where both right and wrong...
We old PT users that chose to keep and upgrade our old PTHD licenses but not invest in Avid hardware are hosed!
As are all the users that bought PTHD licenses on eBay...

The only licenses that can upgrade are CPTK2 owners...

This smells VERY bad in my nose I'll tell you!

Last edited by ErikGuldager; 04-09-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikGuldager View Post
And unfortunately you where both right and wrong...
We old PT users that chose to keep and upgrade our old PTHD licenses but not invest in Avid hardware are hosed!
As are all the users that bought PTHD licenses on eBay...

Great way to fxxk over your users.

The only licenses that can upgrade are CPTK2 owners...

This smells VERY bad in my nose I'll tell you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
What planet do you live on, and are they maybe running out of oxygen? None of that makes any sense whatsoever. You seriously just seem to be looking for a reason to be angry about something, even if you have to make something up to get there.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
There's a famous quote framed on many pubs: "If you really were a great customer, you'd order more!"

Do you really think that HD license comes for free for us HD hardware customers? And they really charge that top money for the card alone? Really? Of course HD customers have paid a whole lot more than CPTK customers and the price seems to be a good deal from my standpoint.

Non-HD customers do not need to upgrade hardware, by the way. Think about costs of upgrading a TDM system and then try to make a point of Avid ripping you off... :/
JFreak,

While this may make perfect sense from a "peanut counter's" perspective, the simple truth is the majority of the customers don't agree. And for that simple reason alone, I think it's in Avid's best interest to simply knock $400 bucks off the crossgrade price for CPTK customers.

They can continue to argue the merits from now to eternity (and anger all the good folks here), or they can simply save some customer goodwill and probably make more sales too by doing the simple thing.

But in the longer run, I still feel Avid is making a HUGE mistake by not offering at least surround and full automation in the basic package. Every other competitor offers this functionality in there package, and the only way to get it now is to be tied to hardware. I think that's a REALLY BAD move. People made the purchasing option for CPTK for many reasons, but chief among them was portability.

Move surround and automation to PT basic, and that leaves VCAs, huge track counts and advanced metering for the HD rigs. To me that makes much more sense.

Chris Conlee