Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-22-2008, 08:06 AM

Default G5 Mac Pro ... What would you do?

I would greatly appreciate advice on which G5 Mac Pro would best serve my studio needs. Using an 002R,
two Glymph Firewire drives, PT 7.4. I think the Quad would be fine. It's the proper configuration to specify when I order it that I need help with. I am currenty in S.E. Asia where a Quad Mac pro will run $3,000+. Can't make a mistake with prices like that. Amy suggestions on what the best configuration would be with my set up? Thank you
Old 01-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Default Re: G5 Mac Pro ... What would you do?

I would suggest getting the cheapest 8core now that they are available. Since you're using the 002, you'll need all the horsepower you can get if you want it to last you a few years. Price for the BASIC Mac Pro 8core is about $2800. The 2 GB of RAM will get you by to begin with, if you want to buy more later, it's easy to install.

I would recommend upgrading the hard drive to 750GB as the basic 320 will fill up pretty fast and it's a pain to replace the system drive a year or 2 down the road.

You can add hard drives or other features later for relatively cheap.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
I would greatly appreciate advice on which G5 Mac Pro would best serve my studio needs. Using an 002R,
two Glymph Firewire drives, PT 7.4. I think the Quad would be fine. It's the proper configuration to specify when I order it that I need help with. I am currenty in S.E. Asia where a Quad Mac pro will run $3,000+. Can't make a mistake with prices like that. Amy suggestions on what the best configuration would be with my set up? Thank you
Sorry to be a stickler - but a G5 is not a Mac Pro. G5's were the last of the Apple manufactured CPU's before Apple began placing Intel processors in their machines. They are known as PowerPC’s (or PPC). The Mac Pro lines are known as IntelMacs. They require different OS and different software versions. The Intel Mac's require Universal Bineries code/script (or UB).
Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 AM

P.S. and yes - get the fastest CPU you can afford and stick and extra 2-3GB of RAM in it. An internal SATA is best for audio apps (or with the Mac Pro x 2 or x 3 "media" drives.)
Old 01-23-2008, 05:16 AM

DUC posters, Thanks fop your comments. Phil, I don't know why I said "G5" Mac-Pro of course.

I would agree as I look deeper into the purchase. I was under the impression that the 8 core was not yet certified for 7.4? Any comments appreciated and thanks again.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 AM

Thinking about this: Would it be advisable to use the 8 core Mac Pro, wipe Leopard and load Tiger?

Is it the Leopard OS that is the problem with LE 7.4 or the 8 core Mac Pro hardware?

Thanks ...
Old 01-23-2008, 09:27 AM

I don't think the latest MacPros will run Tiger. Someone on another thread mentioned they tried and it wouldn't load.

That's kind of where everything is in limbo with PT 7.4 right now. If you can wait another month or so, then you'll know which models will work with 7.4, or maybe 7.5.

You can also gamble and get one of the 8-cores and hope that Digi will certify it soon. A number of people are running 7.4 just fine with Leopard and the MacPros that were introduced about 6-8 months ago. The likelihood is very high that the low-end 8-core will work with PT at some point. There are just no guarantees as to when.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Get an 8 core and run windows for a couple of months. No big deal. When PT is approved, just switch over.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 AM

Thanks for your comments ... seems best to wait a bit and see how Digi deals with it.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:37 AM

i have a g5 quad and it works very fast well with pro tools le 7.4cs2 no problem at all.
the g5 quad ram is expandable to 16gb of ram
and 4gb of ram is recommended for music recording so 16gb is way more then enough memory.
my quad g5 has been more reliable then my new macbook pro
and from the new apple benchmarks quad g5 vs quad core intel mac and the 8core
the g5 could hang with them still
i had a g5 dual 2.0ghz which ran great too with pro tools le 7.4cs2
but i wanted a new computer with a pci-e slot cause i'm planning to upgrade to pci-e version of pro tools hd so that
digidesign making software for the g5 system i can just use those pci-e cards in whatever mac system that is out and hopefully it still be pci-e.

you can find a deal on g5 everyonce in a while on craigslist or ebay.. just have to wait till some wealthy guy who dont know jack about computer or someone in need of money sells there mac quick on the internet..
i picked up mines in the excellent condition quad g5 5gb ram + nvidia 7800gt graphic card + bt pro tool keyboard for the same price i sold my dual 2.0ghz which was a killer deal.