Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Running out of CPU power w/ 2.6 ghz 1GB of RAM?!?!

sheesh! i have 18 tracks recorded, using 5 RTA's....i konw, they eat up power, but i optimized and defregs so why am i running into this problem? i changed the buffers and CPU dedication percentage...im hurting.
any clues? will getting a dedicatd firewire external HD matter?

thanks everyone!
Mackie HUI
Shure & AKG mics
a dash of creativity...
http://www.overlookband.com
Old 06-29-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Running out of CPU power w/ 2.6 ghz 1GB of RAM?!?!

Hello,

Your problem is recording or bouncing?¿?

Old 06-29-2004, 02:34 AM

Also depends on what the rtas plugs are that you're using. Some are more CPU + RAM hogs than others. I don't think you need an external HDD, but definetely a dedicated audio drive. Any 7200RPM drive will do it, or even better if you've got SATA get yourself a WD 10K RPM Raptor.
Old 06-29-2004, 04:30 AM

If you have Dverb, it can cretae a denormalization cycle and eat the entire CPU. Remove it or place a dither before it and it should be OK.
-HD I/O 8x8x8. -HD Omni -Avid S3

-API 2500 -API 5500 -UA 2-1176 -UA 2-610
-Neve 1073, Chandler LTD-1 -Eventide H8000FW -Lexicon PCM96
-Bricasti M7. -Joe Meek channel.

-Waves Mercury, Flux all, Softube All, Plugin Alliance all, McDSP all, Sonnox All, MH production, Wave Arts,a bunch more
-Moog Voyager XL, Nord Piano, Hartmann Neuron, ARP Axxe, Gibson Les Paul, Mesa Boogie Roadster, Kemper, Taylor T5 and T5-12
Old 06-29-2004, 09:08 AM

thanks guys.
actually, i ran into the issue when i was trying to bounce down about 7 tracks of drums and bass. I have dedicated PARTITIONS on my HD for each of my projects, so in essence they have their own drives...i dont know much about the RTA Raptors....LOL...and I work in computers. (hey, its just a day job while i try to be a rock star at night

i never used dither yet. i thought that was just used during mastering. it did seem like the DVERB ate up everything. id use Audiosuite plug ins, but how to you adjust them once they are applied? id also use AUX DVERB tracks and send a bunch of tracks to that but i was in a rush and just needed to bounce a rough mix.
my comps been solid but if this happens during a bounce im scared whats gonna happen when i have to do some SERIOUS tracking and bouncing. ill have to be careful about the DVERBS and such yea?

thanks
Mackie HUI
Shure & AKG mics
a dash of creativity...
Old 06-29-2004, 12:04 PM

I have had this problem when using the D-Verb plug-in. The D-verb plug-in sucks major CPU. You should create an effects loop to apply reverb to multiple tracks, or try using a dither plug-in inserted before the reverb plug-in. If you have used the audio suite plug in on your tracks, you have created a modified file for the tracks you used it on. You might want to wait to use the audio suite version until you are absolutley sure you are done mixing or editing the tracks.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:43 PM

Have you updated to 6.4 yet?
Old 06-29-2004, 12:57 PM

Try creating an AUX track and enable the D-Verb on that channel. Then create any sends that you need with the D-verb on them to that Aux channel which will make you only have one RTAS session of D-verb open. Otherwise if you are using Audiosuite there is a preview button which will let you hear the audio before you process it to the track. You can also use multiple playlists to go back to an earlier version of a track if you don't like it at a later date or just save session before you apply it and revert to saved if you don't like it.

Which OS you running also? Might want to double check and make sure all non-essential hardware and software devices are off on your system while you are tracking.

There is a pretty good explanation of the sends and aux track stuff in your digi user guide that came with your hardware if you aren't familiar with that stuff yet.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 PM

72-
Do you mean that you have your system partition and you project partitions on the same physical drive? Making different partitions won't make a difference. You definitely need a separate physical drive for PT, whether it be internal or external. That will make a HUGE difference in your performance.

Paul
Digi 001, PT LE 6.1.1 - Screw 6.4!
Old 06-29-2004, 02:25 PM

wow, thanks for all the info guys!

ok:

im running a P4 2.6 Ghz machine running Win XP Pro. I have optimized it to the best of my knowledge. (pretty much, there aint nuffin runnin except PT and the OS..lol)
I have NOT upgraded to 6.4 because I love my Mackie HUI and im afraid of it not working with 6.4 even tho they have legacy drivers. im not that lucky...
I know well about the AUX running a DVERB but i use such different amounts so changing one DVERB will change anything bussed to it, right?
i know there are ways around this, but i was in a hurry..i was just surprised my CPU was hurtin...

and as for my HD...(shame on me) i AM using one physical drive with partitions. Its actually working well with the exception of last night's 'episode' but I am going to pick up an external...

anyone recommend a good FIREWIRE EXTERNAL for my particular app? i dont know much about those either...
Will gettin another Internal IDE drive be bad?
Mackie HUI
Shure & AKG mics
a dash of creativity...