Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 02:25 AM

Default An excellent idea for the protools mixer

Myself, (along with probably quite a few others) probably came to protools from an analog domain. Working mainly with consoles. And as much as I like protools interface and options, I sometimes miss my standard layout of trim, eq, sends, routing... all lined up. YES, the protools mixer is very similar, and much more advanced and modular somewhat... but.. my idea-

I think it would be cool to be able to convert an audio "channel" stereo or mono into a "console" style. In this style, would be the 4 band eq (standard on protools) but with dedicated knobs for the sliders, layed out from top to bottom, just like a console. Below that could be your effects sends lets say 6 aux's.. then a pan knob, and maybe even buttons that choose your bus? and only buttons for the current busses appear, and the more bussing you make, the extra buttons would appear in the "console" style. It might even be possible to add a "trim" pot at the top of the strip, which in return would control the level of your digidesign hardware's input.
there wasn't room for this I doubt, but with computers advancing and the native screen resolution of most things being around 1280x1024 now, it could easily fit with the extra room at the bottom space in resolution beyond 1024x768.

to some, this may seem completely pointless... it all depends on your working background and where you started. I still have my analog console that I use equally as much as my protools system, because of it's interface. I can mixdown 40 channels all visually in front of me with my console, and I love the option to be able to do that. This style of channel strip would bring us "hands on" type background people something to relate to, and slightly quicken up normal mixing...

anyone think this is a good idea? bad idea?

lets hear your opinions!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:49 AM

Default Re: An excellent idea for the protools mixer

very true, this is the one thing i have missed , now using the digi 002 , having your eq pots with sweeping mid on the desk and no need to go into anything els to get an eq. if digi design used a model of an ssl desk and did the same thing with the 8 channels on the 002 it would be perfect. going from analog to digital would feel like you havnt moved but now you can save your mixes, which i love no more super 48 hour mixdown sessions we can now save the mix , the part that analog can not compete with digital. great idea one i have thought of myself and one that came to mind when i first got the 002 it is the one thing it is missing. and for the next model up you could even have a compressor/ limiter and gate on the audio channel with the eq. and with the audio channel on the hardware unit could mean and give the extra help with the cpu no need to add an eq when its allready there.
2x 512 kingston DDR400
40 gig seagate HD
120 gig maxtor HD
asus 8X A9200SE vga card
Old 04-20-2004, 09:15 AM

I came from the analog domain as well. And I agree that it would be nice to see some channels more in line with a standard, but I also see the need to compact space. I would find it difficult to mouse scroll up and down all the time to see that entire strip if it had too much. That is why I opted to get the Digi002.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:21 AM

Quote:
And I agree that it would be nice to see some channels more in line with a standard, but I also see the need to compact space.
exactly. be careful what you wish for - you might just end up with the cubase mixer, which has separate windows for inserts, eq & sends. very cluttered. that's the beauty of PT.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:02 PM

Hi!
Coming from the analogue domain requires a bit of education, and an adjustment from linear to non-linear. This is not only one source for the "steep learning curve," but also a source for the huge misunderstanding of the whole "analog vs digital summing" debate.

As far as the UI, well...
Grab a larger format control surface.
Much like a more comprehensive analogue desk will offer more "user control per channel," so it is with control surfaces, and the pricing is a bit reflective of this, nuch like the analogue world.

With a virtual enviornment, the adjustment simply (hehehe) requires a little bit of prethought.
For instance, grab a second monitor.

One of the great things with PT (and DAWs in general) is not being tied to a certain EQ or dynamics algo. I can have URS A on a few channels, N series on another, and S series on a few, and then a Sony on another, and then Ren EQ on another, etc, etc.
If Digi put an EQ or Dynamics group on each channel, the first thing I would want to do is turn them off permanently, and then have them NOT appear on the channels.

Sends can have a mini fader and pan fader (if needed) showing, and switching from Send to Send is quite simple. With a good control surface, very fast, efficient, and easy to deal with.

If even just a full featured EQ were present on each channel, plus all 5 sends' controls, we would spend tiring hours scrolling up and down, even at higher res.

This has been brought up and debated/bashed to death actually...just like plenty of other "issues."
Guess I am just an idiot glutton for punishment even responding anymore...time for my meds...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:10 PM

i second that it would be neat to have an SSL style console feel, but i think that like Nikki said, the first thing i'd want to do is turn them off. what i love about PT is that its simple, theres not any complicated gadgets, you can run hundreds of different plugins, and the screen doesnt have to be gigantic for you to see whats going on. space space space....i work with an SSL at work and love it, but it would be hell trying to stick all those knobs into protools, especially for the beginner who would go nuts at seeing all of them. just my 002 cents(pun totally intended)
ev
Old 04-20-2004, 01:06 PM

I think that it would have been nice to have 8 pres on the thing as well as a talk back mic. How hard would that have been... Skimp us on the pres. Culd have easily put 4 more on there...

Agreed on the above though...

- Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"