How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2022, 12:34 PM

Default Unwanted settings imported

Hi,

Imported a session from a friend the other day and got som unwanted things imported.
I am on win 10 4 bit. Pro tools 2021.10 (I think... on of the late 2021,ns)

My friends set up is an older MacPro with pro tools 2018.

I opened his session, and when I was making a new session afterwards, I noticed that my I/O,s, colours, zoom, scrolling etc was imported from the session from my friend.

I had recently saved my I/O setup, but loading this did not help the problem.

Is there anything I can do to reverse this??

as always, help is really apriciated!!
Old 04-04-2022, 12:09 AM

Default Re: Unwanted settings imported

Trying again...
I tried to run Trasher several times. I re-installed pro tools, and got some improvement.
I/O, zoom and scrolling is now normal, but something has happened in the colour management.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt 2021.jpg (10.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2022, 12:12 AM

Better picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt 2021.jpg (93.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-04-2022, 08:05 AM

If there’s a way to stop Pro Tools from importing EVERY preference from outside sessions, I’m not aware of it, but I’m with you in finding it annoying.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
If there’s a way to stop Pro Tools from importing EVERY preference from outside sessions, I’m not aware of it, but I’m with you in finding it annoying.
Thanks man. I was afraid I was the only one
Old 04-04-2022, 09:53 AM

It even tries to drag in all the audio engine settings, which sucks if you and the sender don’t have the same interface. Again, if there’s an option, I’d sure like to know about it.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi68 View Post
Hi,
...I opened his session, and when I was making a new session afterwards, I noticed that my I/O,s, colours, zoom, scrolling etc was imported from the session from my friend....
Track colors, Zoom presets, I/O, some editing/mix preferences, and some playback engine settings (buffering for one) are saved and recalled with the session, and this is correct and desired behavior. IIRC there's a section in the manual that spells out all prefs that are global vs. session specific (search "Local (Session or Project Only) Preferences"). If you recall one of your older sessions you should be able to have most of your settings back, and the "restore from saved session" checkbox in the I/O dialog will get back your old I/O settings. PT does its best to use the saved session's I/O on a new system and reroute whatever needs rerouting to the current available physical I/O - sometimes it works well, and sometimes not as well depending on how different the two physical interfaces are. Assuming you saved a default I/O for your system you can always get it back by just importing to all tabs in the I/O dialog.

AFA "colour management" I don't see a problem - that looks like the normal color palette, but perhaps you can describe what the issue is?

If you want to be selective about what gets pulled in, you'd need to create a fresh session and then use the Import Session Data command to pick and choose which parameters are imported from the outside session.

If I'm opening someone else's session (or an old session of mine) for further add-on work, then I generally *want* all of their saved parameters. If I'm starting a mix from scratch with a received session I have macros that blow out the existing I/O, pull in my preferred I/O, reset Zoom presets, pull in mix preferences, etc, etc.

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6

Last edited by Rich Breen; 04-05-2022 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-05-2022, 10:16 AM

This is what happens when you create a new session and leave the I/O settings on “Last Used”. You need to save your personal I/O setup and select it every time you create a new session.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control