Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 01-23-2022, 05:41 PM

Default DADman/MTRX Studio sample rate, Avid Control monitoring issues

Hi

I am experiencing two issues: intermittent problems with MTRX Studio sample rate sync when DADman first opens, along with intermittent non-configuration of Avid Control/PT Dock monitoring settings when EuControl starts.

Setup: Trashcan Mac, macOS 10.15.7, PT Ultimate 2021.12 with HD driver, 1 x HDX. 2 x MTRX Studio attached to HDX. HDX port 1 connected to MTRX 1 Pri/Pri. HDX port 2 connected to MTRX 2 Pri/Pri. Latest firmware on MTRXs. PT Dock and 2 x S1 with latest firmware. 3 x Avid Control/iPad latest app. MTRXs connected to Cisco GbE switch along with Mac and PT Dock/S1s. Avid Controls connected via Wi-Fi. EuControl 2021.10.1.29. DADman has EuCon enabled - with correct MTRX unit selected. MTRXs using loop sync. Both MTRXs sample rate 44.1kHz, adapt to Digilink 1. MacOS Audio MIDI Setup Audio Devices HDX - sample rate set to 44.1kHz for both MTRX clock sources for input/output. AvidAudioServer sample rate set to 44.1kHz for both MTRXs.

Issue 1: Sample rate intermittently set to non-44.1 at startup, MTRXs don't sync

On every third (or so) boot, when DADman starts the sample rate for one or both MTRXs is not 44.1kHz. The second MTRX sync light is red. I cannot reset this in DADman. If I try to reset it in AvidAudioServer or macOS Audio MIDI Setup Audio Devices HDX, these applications only display the first MTRX along with the incorrect sample rate (e.g. 192kHz, 48kHz etc) - if I reset the sample rate, it does not propagate to the second MTRX so they remain out of sync. I have to restart the second MTRX and then the sync occurs. I have tried putting a '#' in front of the AvidAudioServer application but this creates further havoc. So in summary: on boot the HDX sample rate intermittently sets to non-44.1 despite it being set in Audio MIDI Setup, AvidAudioServer and DADman, I have tried all of the suggestions in these forums and no luck.

Issue 2: Avid Control/PT Dock monitoring settings intermittently not set

On most boots, when EuControl starts, the upper Avid Control/PT Dock monitoring settings (e.g. the 4 x 2 PT Dock knobs alongside the iPad, and the app controls) do not respond (e.g. the "CUT" button in the app doesn't work, and pressing the matching "Cut" knob on the PT Dock does not work). Sometimes this can be resolved by restarting the Avid Control app, or removing and re-adding the PT Dock and/or app from EuControl, or restarting EuControl altogether - but this is not consistent. I disabled "Launch EuControl" in my Login Items. I manually started EuControl, then DADman (DADman has EuCon enabled). Same problem. I then started EuControl after DADman had started - this works perhaps 4 out of 5 times. What on earth is going on?

Thanks for any help
Rich
Old 01-24-2022, 07:39 AM
Avid

Default Re: DADman/MTRX Studio sample rate, Avid Control monitoring issues

Greetings,

A few questions..

Are you running EUCON, Dante and WAN all on the same NIC?

Do all of the EUCON and MTRX devices have self-assigned IP addresses?

Are you running Avid Audio Server currently and do you use your HD hardware in apps via CoreAudio?

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-24-2022, 02:47 PM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for responding and helping.

> Are you running EUCON, Dante and WAN all on the same NIC?

The Mac is running EUCON and Dante over a single common NIC connected to the Cisco SG350-10P switch. The Mac also connects to the wider network fabric and the Internet over the same NIC. I have read the Avid documentation (on Dropbox I think) which mentions a number of configurations including an option of multiple NICs, separate Wi-Fi APs, routers etc etc. This is not technically practical or affordable for me as the setup I am using is really simple: a computer, control surface and 2 interfaces. I put in Cisco switches based on recommendations regarding Dante reliability.

I should say that once the problems at startup are overcome, the sample rate and EuControl/PT Dock are stable whilst the Mac remains booted. (Except for a bizarre intermittent issue where Talkback enables itself without instruction.)

> Do all of the EUCON and MTRX devices have self-assigned IP addresses?

All devices receive their IP addresses via DHCP - all on the same subnet. I have verified this.

> Are you running Avid Audio Server currently and do you use your HD hardware in apps via CoreAudio?

I don't run AAS. I don't use the Avid CoreAudio driver with Mac apps. Mac apps play audio via DVS which is configured using Dante Controller to connect to MTRX Studio (#1) Dante channels 1-2.

Thanks
Rich
Old 01-24-2022, 03:00 PM
Avid

Thanks. A few simple things....

I would not recommend auto-launching DADman when your computer boots. You can certainly have the proper .dms and .dmprof files automatically load when launching DADman - but ensure that your computer is fully booted first.

Unless you are using legacy HD interfaces (like HD IO + MTRX Studio), I would recommend running Word out of your primary MTRX Studio -> into Word in of your 2nd MTRX Studio. Set the Conf section appropriately to establish MTRX ST A > Conf > Sync source = Internal. MTRX ST B > Conf > Sync source = Word Clock.

All of the essential clocking settings are stored in the Conf section of DADman. When your .dms file is loaded it should 100% restore the settings for all attached MTRX devices which are part of the configuration.

If AAS is disabled you won't have to worry about a mismatch in sample rates between Core Audio and within DADman when using the Pro Tools HD engines - assuming Adapt to = DigiLink 1. Also - if you have a master clock like SYNC X - you can maintain a desired state in and out of Pro Tools and after reboot.

I presume that the Dante 64 daughterboard is being used as the Dante Leader Clock in your configuration, yes?

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-24-2022, 03:49 PM

Hi Jeff

> I would not recommend auto-launching DADman when your computer boots. You can certainly have the proper .dms and .dmprof files automatically load when launching DADman - but ensure that your computer is fully booted first.

Ok, thanks.

> Unless you are using legacy HD interfaces (like HD IO + MTRX Studio), I would recommend running Word out of your primary MTRX Studio -> into Word in of your 2nd MTRX Studio. Set the Conf section appropriately to establish MTRX ST A > Conf > Sync source = Internal. MTRX ST B > Conf > Sync source = Word Clock.

Ok, no legacy interfaces, so to confirm:
BNC clock loop between MTRX Studio 1 & 2 (this has always been the case)
MTRX Studio 1 Sync source = Internal, Sync out = Word clock
MTRX Studio 2 Sync source = Word clock, Sync out = Word clock

> All of the essential clocking settings are stored in the Conf section of DADman. When your .dms file is loaded it should 100% restore the settings for all attached MTRX devices which are part of the configuration.

Does this mean that the sample rate should also be restored when the .dms is manually loaded? This does not happen when there is a sample rate mismatch between MTRX Studio interfaces. In fact, in this situation MTRX Studio 2 is effectively uncontactable, even via Dante.

> If AAS is disabled you won't have to worry about a mismatch in sample rates between Core Audio and within DADman when using the Pro Tools HD engines - assuming Adapt to = DigiLink 1. Also - if you have a master clock like SYNC X - you can maintain a desired state in and out of Pro Tools and after reboot.

Can you confirm:
- I should rename the file AvidAudioServer to #AvidAudioServer. This file is located in the Macintosh HD>Applications>Avid>AvidAudioServer folder. (Note that I have been looking but can't find any documentation about this.)
- Will the disabling of AAS affect DVS, other CoreAudio drivers or will it cause any stability issues or loss of functionality?
- I should continue to use the sample rate settings on MTRX Studio 1 & 2 - Sample rate = 44.1 kHz and Adapt to = DigiLink 1.
- Does this mean that if I change session sample rates in PT that this will propagate automatically to MTRX Studio 1 & 2, or will I have to manually set the sample rate on the interfaces?

> I presume that the Dante 64 daughterboard is being used as the Dante Leader Clock in your configuration, yes?

MTRX Studio 1 is set as Preferred Master = yes. Dante Controller shows that this device is the leader.

Regarding the EuControl/PT Dock issue, have you heard of this? Any recommendations?

Thanks
Rich
Old 01-24-2022, 05:20 PM
Avid

Disconnect Loop Sync and take a BNC from box A Word out to Box B Word in. Set Box A to Sync = Internal and Box B to Sync = Word Clock.

Uncontactable? Do you mean you can't properly communicate with B via Settings > Device List? Each MTRX unit should have a unique IP Address, Unit ID and Name.

Are your devices up to date with firmware which should be -> 1.0.3.2 (cpufw)

To stop using Avid Audio Server - I just simply delete com.avid.AvidAudioServer.plist in the root Library/LaunchAgents/ then reboot.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-24-2022, 06:25 PM

> Disconnect Loop Sync and take a BNC from box A Word out to Box B Word in. Set Box A to Sync = Internal and Box B to Sync = Word Clock.

Thanks. Sync is working consistently when MTRX Studios are powered on.

Upon startup, DADman is consistently showing that both MTRXs are synched at a sample rate of 48 kHz despite the .dms being set to 44.1 kHz. My use case is to run Dante at 44.1 independently of whether PT has been started. As far as I can see, there is no way to change the sample rate from 48 to 44.1 other than to start PT. Is that correct?

> Uncontactable? Do you mean you can't properly communicate with B via Settings > Device List? Each MTRX unit should have a unique IP Address, Unit ID and Name.

The interface is not visible for use by audio apps like PT (DigiLink) or DVS (Dante).

> Are your devices up to date with firmware which should be -> 1.0.3.2 (cpufw)

Yes.

> To stop using Avid Audio Server - I just simply delete com.avid.AvidAudioServer.plist in the root Library/LaunchAgents/ then reboot.

Ok, thanks.

Regards
Richard
Old 01-24-2022, 06:45 PM
Avid

Set the Adapt to under Conf to Internal then you can freely change the Sample Rate.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 01-24-2022, 08:09 PM

Many thanks for your help Jeff.