Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 04-28-2022, 05:47 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon2065 View Post
Hi

I want to sell my Pro Tools Ultimate perpetual and buy Pro Tools perpetual given these changes.

I do not have HDX hardware and only upgraded from Pro Tools to Pro Tools Ultimate for Advance Automation and Clip FX etc about 3 years ago.

I do not want to be stuck paying $400 pa instead of $200 for absolutely nothing.

Of course Avid will never inform their customers about future plans or reasons why it may be of benefit staying on Ultimate so I have to make this decision based on the typically Avid vaguery. That is how I got in this mess in the first place.

Is this a straight forward process? I can see the Transfer of Owner form on the Avid site. Has anyone gone through this? Is there anything to watch out for?
I am in a similar situation to you, I recall from a few years back that Avid charged a license transfer fee of $80 when you sell a license. That was 3 or 4 years ago but be sure to check.

I am currently downloading a trial of Studio and will use it over the next couple of weeks to see if it works out, and opens previous sessions etc Then it might be sell Ultimate time and move to a Studio sub, or try and grab a Perpetual license...
Old 04-28-2022, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseboyuk View Post
For Studio, things are rosier - a significant number of new features that goes some way to justifying the hike in prices. But I empathise with those here who now find Studio is all they need, yet are locked into paying full whack as the hardware only works with Ultimate / Flex. Given the huge increases in cost and lack of new features, a show of good faith would be to allow those with HD/HDX access to Studio.
I was thinking about users in your boat, and ones without HDX/HDN but are on the ultimate merry-go-round for features… My guess they want you to go to Carbon, which is accessible in Studio. Of course you’d be on a sub only, which is also part of their plan for us all.

My opinion is perp should stay, but keep incentivising subs, and/or allow ultimate perps a limited time amnesty to trade down to Studio, or trade HDX and Ultimare for Carbon with Studio bundled.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:55 AM

Yeah the transfer is pretty straight forward:

See this kb article please.

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/faq/en363631

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 04-28-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevron View Post
I am in a similar situation to you, I recall from a few years back that Avid charged a license transfer fee of $80 when you sell a license. That was 3 or 4 years ago but be sure to check.

I am currently downloading a trial of Studio and will use it over the next couple of weeks to see if it works out, and opens previous sessions etc Then it might be sell Ultimate time and move to a Studio sub, or try and grab a Perpetual license...
Yes, although I have an idle Pro Tools (now Studio) perpetual license that I will put on my spare iLok and test it with some of my Pro Tools Ultimate sessions.

I know Pro Tools standard works well with Carbon, we'll see if that changes or gets better with Pro Tools Studio.

Both licenses are up for plan renewal in Aug and Sep. So I guess I'll see which one gets renewed.

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2024.3.1)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2024.3.1)
|
M2 Max Mac Studio w/64GB RAM | 1TB SSD | Mac OS 14.4.1| (Main Rig) |
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X |

Old 04-28-2022, 06:30 AM

I have been trying to trial Studio via subscription, and even created a new Avid and iLok account but I can't get the trial to go through.

It just stalls on the Step 1 of 3 page.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:50 AM

Quote:
For Ultimate users, there have been very few new features now for some time - folder tracks was the last that was significant. This release - typically the spring release has been the big one - has just search and key command customisation, the latter is welcome but pretty small-fry. The longed-for main features are absent. A good example would be folders in the clip bin, which I believe has been the number one requested feature for over a decade - possibly two. Where is it? And then there’s M1 support. M1 has been out for two years now. EDIT - and ARA.

And although we have increases in the track count for Aux and Master tracks (which I doubt many will need) there is an inexplicable limit on MIDI tracks to 1024. Far more than most need of course, except professional composers with large VE Pro templates. That’s a whole market you are missing, and it’s presumably one line of code to change - make it unlimited like literally everyone else. Every other full-featured DAW is unlimited on all major track counts.

You are sending a clear message - we are still limiting Ultimate artificially. And charging you $400 a year as a virtual tax on perpetual holders with penalties if you don’t pay up, $1000 a year for subscribers, up by $200 in a single year. And don’t get me started on withholding perpetual from new customers.

The war in Ukraine puts a different slant on it, but if you want us to accept less this year, reduce, not put up, the prices.

For Studio, things are rosier - a significant number of new features that goes some way to justifying the hike in prices. But I empathise with those here who now find Studio is all they need, yet are locked into paying full whack as the hardware only works with Ultimate / Flex. Given the huge increases in cost and lack of new features, a show of good faith would be to allow those with HD/HDX access to Studio.
This is it. $400 a year (because you know we don't want to pay a high priced subscription) just because we like to use HDx or HDn. I have (in no way) a big commercial studio.

Absolutely no major new features in a while. Now all resources will go into coding for ARM.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:29 AM

What a hot mess! Ultimate vs. Flex, (Grandfathered) Perpetual vs Subscription, Apple Silicon (soft of) vs Intel. I'm glad to be happily making records with a mostly stable PT 2020.9.1 install on a Mojave box. I bought a $249 perpetual reinstatement back in December, but I'm not sure I will ever want to activate it with all of this uncertainty. Here's a little marketing tip for the team of MBAs that dreamed up this scheme: "When you confuse, you lose"
Old 04-28-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
For Ultimate users, there have been very few new features now for some time - folder tracks was the last that was significant. This release - typically the spring release has been the big one - has just search and key command customisation, the latter is welcome but pretty small-fry. The longed-for main features are absent. A good example would be folders in the clip bin, which I believe has been the number one requested feature for over a decade - possibly two. Where is it? And then there’s M1 support. M1 has been out for two years now. EDIT - and ARA.

And although we have increases in the track count for Aux and Master tracks (which I doubt many will need) there is an inexplicable limit on MIDI tracks to 1024. Far more than most need of course, except professional composers with large VE Pro templates. That’s a whole market you are missing, and it’s presumably one line of code to change - make it unlimited like literally everyone else. Every other full-featured DAW is unlimited on all major track counts.

You are sending a clear message - we are still limiting Ultimate artificially. And charging you $400 a year as a virtual tax on perpetual holders with penalties if you don’t pay up, $1000 a year for subscribers, up by $200 in a single year. And don’t get me started on withholding perpetual from new customers.

The war in Ukraine puts a different slant on it, but if you want us to accept less this year, reduce, not put up, the prices.

(FWIW - I think Artist is a bust. Track counts simply too low - increase the basics from 32 to 64 and it’s a more reasonable proposition that competes with Cubase Elements).

I - and I’m sure others - would welcome you addressing these issues head on. Thanks for raising your head above the parapet!
This...nothing for Ultimate users
Old 04-28-2022, 10:37 AM

And I thought price gouging is illegal.
This business model is a mess and unethically expensive.
Not to mention the "abandonment" of Ultimate users who pay $400/year.
I love Pro Tools from its inception (I go way back to Sound Tools) but do not like Avid's avidity.
16 Core
96 GB ram
macOS Ventura 13.4
Somehow, musicians are now technicians!
Old 04-28-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by off the wall View Post
One NEEDS Ultimate with any DigiLink interface. If you don’t already have a Perpetual license for Ultimate with an active support plan, you would need to re-up your support plan or get on a Flex subscription. New Perpetual licenses are no longer available from Avid. There is no longer an Ultimate subscription, only Flex.
So if i have an up-to-date support plan for my PTU perpetual, and need HDN, i pay what amount for which "tier" when my plan expires in 10 months?