Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019

Old 10-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Default cursor position / continuous scroll display problem

Sorry if this has been posted already; i've been searching since install last week.
I put up full Pro Tools 2019.6 on a Windows 10 box that had PT First installed, and there's a problem that didn't occur running PT First.

The track position cursor scroll and timeline counters intermittently stop and start. Playback and record continue working, but the display gets stuck for a beat or two. Same symptom if you select "Edit Window Scrolling -> Continuous", it scrolls along fine, then pauses, then catches up -- every few bars.

The only change I've made in the generic configuration is deselection of "Ignore erros during playback/record" (I experimented with manual Disk Cache allocation, and the video setting under Preferences->Operation, but it had no effect on the problem).

AvidAppManHelper.exe reports excessive page faults --in the quintillions, so it must be incorrect(?), but still, it's a kind of cry for help. Search results indicate the AvidAppManHelper.exe is no longer required, but the uninstall / disable processes described in those legacy posts no longer apply.

I didn't see any other system resoources under stress when the problem occurs, neither in the OS nor PT system usage meters.

Any performance tuning tips, customizations to improve display response, documentation besides the reference guide, etc., greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 AM

Default Re: cursor position / continuous scroll display problem

Have you done all the recommended optimizations to your system? Google for those tips.
What else do you have going on when working in PT?
Any wireless stuff?
Is your session all audio or do you have some vi's running as well?

QAPLA!
Old 10-10-2019, 10:20 AM

Default Re: cursor position / continuous scroll display problem

Hi, thanks very much for your reply.

I have gone through the Windows 10 optimization steps from the Avid KB, and from generic third-party search results.
The only other processes running during the PT session are background services, and wireless network / bluetgooth is disabled (wired ethernet is enabled).
The sessions are all audio, and limited to a multitimbral xpand track (plus click | delay | reverb).

I was hoping the issue would be specific to the full Pro Tools generic config, since it does not occur running PT | First.

AvidAppManHelper.exe starts and stops every few seconds, and often reports a crazy number of page faults.
I can't tell by watching if the delay occurs when it starts/stops, and i guess i could run procmon to see, but...wow.
Long road there.

Is AvidAppManHelper required ? I'd like to at least eliminate it as a possibility...if i can figure out how to safely disable it.

Thanks again, i appreciate your time and attention.