Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Phase aligning 2 sources

Is there a new plug out there that can help with phase aligning 2 sources? I have 2 digital transfers of the same original analog source. I want to matrix them (long story but if you really want to know...). I estimate this taking far too many hours with Serato Pitch n Time - although it's quite possible. Anyone heard of a plug that can automate some of this? The phase alignment really has to be perfect for this to work of course (see flanging techniques).
Thanks
Old 04-17-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Phase aligning 2 sources

I would say if they are an analogue source you ain't going to get even close. I would be interested to hear your long story, what is it that you are trying to achieve?

Regards

Roland
Old 04-17-2009, 02:42 PM

Mastering project. A cassette was transfered to DAT tape twice. Once as expected - consumer cassette to DAT. Later, a second transfer with the lows rolled off and the remainder compressed (all in analog) in an effort to get some bit depth to the far away upper mids/highs.

2 DATs each with their merits
analog source is long MIA

The brief moments I've lined up sound really good but it takes way too long.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Avid

I think what you're attempting is a lost cause - there are far, far too many opportunities for phase misalignment, especially given it's tape you were working from originally. Head alignment during playback, tape stretch, oxide degradation - really, you're better off using whichever tape transfer that sounds best and working off that.

Now, if someone can come and refute this, I would like to know what they're doing, because it's going to be something extra special.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
Mastering project. A cassette was transfered to DAT tape twice. Once as expected - consumer cassette to DAT. Later, a second transfer with the lows rolled off and the remainder compressed (all in analog) in an effort to get some bit depth to the far away upper mids/highs.

2 DATs each with their merits

The brief moments I've lined up sound really good but it takes way too long.

I would re-transfer the cassette directly to Pro Tools through the best converter you can get your hands on at 24-bit, or alternatively transfer the DAT recording that is full-frequency into a 24-bit session. At that point you can, mult it, or copy to multiple tracks and try various processing in an effort to get whatever results you are looking for and using ADC, you will stay phase aligned.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:22 PM

I have to say I wouldn't waste my time, I can't think for a second that you would get anywhere close to phase alignment. I would almost certainly forget the version with the low frequency roll off and compression, it's likely the noise floor is significantly worse than before. Start with the original naked version, digitize it, apply noise reduction to it, then a bit of gentle mastering to adjust for frequency balance and produce a pleasing "loudness".

Although I'm a Pro-tools user, I would suggest that a mastering system such as Pyramix, Sadie or even Sequioa, might be a better choice for this kind of work. I have Pyramix as well as Pro-tools and I would say it would be easier to do it on that.

Regards

Roland
Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfisheye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzoid View Post
I would re-transfer the cassette directly to Pro Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 09:15 AM

I would take the DAT that was a straight transfer and import/record it into Pro Tools. Then duplicate it and apply similar treatment as was done to the second DAT version. This should solve the alignment issue. I hear the message that some have sent saying just forget it or walk away from it, but I also understand that you may have perfectly good reasons why you want or need to tackle it, so good luck.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave