Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM

Default Quicktime squeezed...

Hey Guys,

I'm sure I'm a button click away...

I have a 1080 HD quicktime. when I play it in QT player it is formatted correctly (anamorphic). When I import it into my PT session (LE 7.4) it's squeezed. Are there any video settings for anamorphic in PT? This isn't a big deal in my local session, but it would be nice to see it normal.

Thanks in advance,

Rod
Old 02-28-2008, 03:05 PM

Default Re: Quicktime squeezed...

I guess this is stumping the professionals?

27 views - no responses...
Old 02-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I'm sure I'm a button click away...

I have a 1080 HD quicktime. when I play it in QT player it is formatted correctly (anamorphic). When I import it into my PT session (LE 7.4) it's squeezed. Are there any video settings for anamorphic in PT? This isn't a big deal in my local session, but it would be nice to see it normal.

Thanks in advance,

Rod
I had to change the formatting from 1440x1080 to 1990x1080 to make HD show up properly in one instance (not PT). It was weird because I captured in 1440x1080. Also check that the pixel setting is correct (square or not). If it's one way, try changing it to the other.

Generally, you want square for computers, but some apps have the ability to recognize if the setting is off and automatically change it for viewing purposes. I'd bet PT cannot.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 02-28-2008, 05:52 PM

I know what you mean. DVC PRO HD is actually 1440x1080 squeezed and then plays back at 1920x1080 unsqueezed.

I guess there is no choice in PT to pick anamorphic. I guess I'll work as is. It looks great with QT pro or in Final Cut.

Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
I guess there is no choice in PT to pick anamorphic. I guess I'll work as is. It looks great with QT pro or in Final Cut.
there's a workaround for this:
-open your movie file in quicktime, hit command+J
-select the video track, somewhere there you can adjust the playback scaling..good luck finding the right one
-after adjusting, you have to save the movie file.
-reload the file in PT
if you have used bad maths in the scaling value you may have to redo..
Old 02-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Felix is correct. This workaround is the only way. PT is very simple when it comes to Quicktime. It does not do anything with display, except the rough .5x / 1x / 2x / fit screen scaling. PT does however honor whatever changes you make in Quicktime Pro.

If you're using Mojo or such to display quicktime externally, there may be options I'm not aware of.

-jeremiah
Old 02-29-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Felix is correct. This workaround is the only way. PT is very simple when it comes to Quicktime. It does not do anything with display, except the rough .5x / 1x / 2x / fit screen scaling. PT does however honor whatever changes you make in Quicktime Pro.

If you're using Mojo or such to display quicktime externally, there may be options I'm not aware of.

-jeremiah
That's what I was suggesting, except that I generally work via Compressor, since I'm usually changing encoding format as well as display values.
www.tnfilmlocations.com
Old 03-03-2008, 02:45 PM

THANK YOU. It worked. I took the DVCPRO HD that is 1440x1080 multiplied the 1440 by 1.33 gives you 1920
so I multiplied 1920 by 1.33 to get 2554. changed the QT to 2554 x 1080 and it looks great in PT.

Thanks for the command J QT advice. -Rod
Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM

Quote:
That's what I was suggesting, except that I generally work via Compressor, since I'm usually changing encoding format as well as display values
MPEG Streamclip is also very useful - an extraordinary swiss army knife of video codec-ness, esp. considering it's Free. It does codec transcoding with arbitrary image scaling/cropping, and lets you store your own presets. Highly recommended.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

-jeremiah
Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I was suggesting, except that I generally work via Compressor, since I'm usually changing encoding format as well as display values
MPEG Streamclip is also very useful - an extraordinary swiss army knife of video codec-ness, esp. considering it's Free. It does codec transcoding with arbitrary image scaling/cropping, and lets you store your own presets. Highly recommended.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

-jeremiah
It is cool. You need several things in the toolbox these days. Tonight I have to edit together HDV (16:9) and DV (4:3). I'm trying to decide how many hoops to jump through...
www.tnfilmlocations.com