Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 10-09-2006, 08:19 PM

Default VENUE Stage Rack as a Splitter?

How would one split the inputs from a single VENUE Stage Rack to feed dual D-Show consoles? (FOH & Monitors)

I know it seems like a simple task, however I cannot find any info regarding it..

Thx!

Steve J.
Old 10-10-2006, 08:08 AM

Default Re: VENUE Stage Rack as a Splitter?

You have to do an analog split to multiple stage racks with FOH and MON running independently.

Dave
Old 10-10-2006, 04:10 PM

You can "Y" the coax but both engineers have to agree on a gain setting and not mess with it after the initial setting. I know they say it doesn't work but I know of an act that does just this and they are content.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-10-2006, 08:53 PM

I'm confused as to why there is no card option for this, or why the Snake 2 Output can't be used as a split instead of for rendundancy.

Mr. Radford, can we expect to see anything like this in the future from Digi?

**** On a side note, I'd also like to know how soon we'll see DSP for system processing (ie. crossovers, etc.) from 3rd party vendors like Dolby Lake, BSS, DBX and others. Any thoughts?

A million thanks.

SJ
Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 AM

Here's why:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/inde...09/#msg_124205

Dave
Old 10-12-2006, 01:43 AM

Thanks, Dave. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

S.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:19 PM

I'd like to see something similar to the Lake Countour for system control. I could then run everything from inside the Venue. While the graphic Eq's are fine, having the flexability in the Venue like the Lake units would be amazing.

Eddie
Old 11-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Digital aplit is not ideal for FOH-Monitor scenario due to lack of individual control of Pre-amp levels. But if a "Digital offset" feature would be avaiable on a "Slave" console (monitor) it could make it work. In other words, Master console would have pre-amp control and Slave would have offset, both on the "Gain" selection on the encoder.
A little bit of smart coding would keep a record of the offset amount between the two consoles and automatically adjust for pre-amp gain changes coming from master console. For example:
After FOH console sets preamp gain amount and Monitor console sets offset amount, any changes done from FOH to the gain would be inversely done to the offset level. Kind of +3db change from FOH equals -3dB offset at Monitors, so that way Monitor gain levels never changes if FOH engineer decides to play with gain... Gosh I hope that made sense.

Another idea was for the development of SRI "split" cards. In other words, the stage rack would have to be switched to a "Split Mode". In this mode the rack would make the SRI split cards run in a split mode, where input 1 on the card would parallel (isolated or not) to input 2. and then all odd number inputs would be assign to FOH and all even numbers to Monitor.

Both ideas don't sound impossible to be, but I don't know the implications of them. The first involves some pretty crasy coding and the second idea requires some design for a new product. I like the "SRI SPLIT" card idea better, because you can achieve complete independent control of pres and also use the stage rack in standard mode, which would give you more inputs.

Am I really dreaming here?? Its kind of late, so I don't expect any of this to make sense..... I'll read it tomorrow and see...
Old 11-06-2006, 10:18 PM

Gil, you're a genius.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM

AND it looks like they used your idea of a Digital Offset in their new D-Show version.

Did you patent that idea before you posted it..?