Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-17-2004, 03:52 PM

Default convert 30NDF to 29DF timecode?

Hi,

I know I've dealt with this in the past, I just can't remember.

I am recutting a film in my AVID that the digibeta is 29.97 DF timecode(broadcast). The DA88 audio stems provided for conform are from the film version and made at 30 NDF timecode(theatrical). Is there anyway around having to load analog to get them to sync with the Digibeta?

I have loaded them digitally into a Protools session at 30 NDF. Any conversion (export , import, etc.) that I should consider as a work around? The audio is running faster than the pix.

How about booting up in OS 9 and using gearbox ? any downside to that?

thanks for any help,

rod
Old 07-17-2004, 06:49 PM

Default Re: convert 30NDF to 29DF timecode?

It seems you just need to apply a .1% pulldown (from the Session Setup Window), and change the frame rate to 29.97.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:11 AM

That's ALL !! Can I export those files as "converted" ? so that I can bring them into my AVID session at 29.97DF and retain new TC info? I know it's alot to ask....

Thanks for the help
Old 07-18-2004, 02:21 PM

Like I just said in a similar thread, I don't want to come off as an expert, so please get second opinions or do some tests... Sounds like you want your final to be at video speed to import into the Avid. According to this chart , you'll need to do a sample rate conversion at the end. The pulldown is only a temporary state, and you need to make it permanent. As far as SRCing it during exporting or bouncing -- this is a gray area for me, and I don't know what that would do on the timeline (i.e., not sure about the timecode pitfalls). In theory it should work.

An alternative is to layback analog (with the pulldown on in PT) to another machine at 48kHz chasing PTs timecode. A third alternative -- if you have a spare HD system you can sample rate convert on the fly. So you could set the incoming digital audio inputs on the record machine to SRC to 48kHz while chasing the 29.97 TC from the source rig.

And yet another option might be to load the original DA-88 into PT analog with a pull-up. Take the pull-up off, and you're at video speed.

Check out the chart though... it seems pretty thorough. A lot of theoreticals here for me, trying to help you work it out - hope I didn't just confuse you. Maybe someone who has a proven best solution can chime in.