Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 06-19-2019, 10:10 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebee62 View Post
I’ve been taking a good look a Studio One for the past few hours. Looks nice I’ll have to keep researching it. $399 gets you the goods huh. Ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It usually goes on sale for around $199 at the end of the year.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmission View Post
It's like they had Whitey Bulger think this thing up.

Even Bulgar wouldn't come up with the plan, to induce perpetual license users to surrender their licenses for a subscription entrapment.
Whitey was a decent con, there are far worse than him in "divA".
Old 06-19-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_uk View Post
Thanks for the Absolute Music tip.
Just went back to Absolute Music and the support plan renewal has been completely removed for normal users, only the educational (institution) version is available.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)
Old 06-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
XPand 2 can be bought from plugin boutique for $15 and works with any DAW with VST or AU support (this happened because AIR Instruments was sold off by Avid.)
Good to know. I might try that. I'm not overly thrilled with Xpand 2, but it does sound better than what Studio One offers standard for drums. I know I'd be better off with Superior Drummer, but for $15 this would keep my current workflow pretty much the same.

Thanks!
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Just went back to Absolute Music and the support plan renewal has been completely removed for normal users, only the educational (institution) version is available.
The plot thickens...

Perhaps they ran out :)
Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 AM

Avid you are killing your company... sry...

Loyal users like me, paid 2500 Dollar for all the PT Ultimate licences and you want to force them into a supcription model, worse than the update plan now is? On the other side Avid is not delivering the things, they promised...
No HDX track improvement and co. We have mojave support on a date, where in a few months 10.15 Catalina will arive... Then track packs..for native PTU Users... WTF... Logic 10.4.5 came out last week with 1000 Audio Tracks, 1000 Instrument Tracks, 1000 Aux Tracks, 1000 external Midi Tracks...

Avid is a Cash Grab... Paying for nothing... NOTHING... Its worse than all the free 2 play games out there... I made a big mistake to invest in all the HDX hardware, cause now i am tied to it... Avid find your way back to the customers, cause if not, you will kill your company and i am not sad about it...:-(
Old 06-19-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
Absolute...ish
Old 06-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackerLe View Post
Loyal users like me, paid 2500 Dollar for all the PT Ultimate licences and you want to force them into a supcription model, worse than the update plan now is?
Calm down, nobody has (so far) said anything about perpetual licenses going away. Just that IT SEEMS that clearly Avid would love to move entirely to subscription model later. How much later? Nobody knows. And even if that happened one day, the perpetual license would still continue working with the last software version supporting it -- and let me repeat, this announcement doesn't tell me that it would be on the table any time soon.

It just means if you now have a permanent license and CHOOSE TO move to subscription, you get a pretty good discount. Well okay, the discount is better on standard software, but even with Ultimate you could save some if you took it now. BUT, because of the numbers here, I cannot see that perpetual Ultimate licenses are going away very soon as you would need to be on that discounted subscription pricing for 12 years before you get even (eating that perpetual license value).

I'M GUESSING that this pricing change "encourages" standard software users to embrace the subscription model but Ultimate users staying where they are.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:23 AM

Like a fool I'm trying to pay $99 now for my Pro Tools Standard academic perpetual license to beat the July 1, 2019 deadline when the price doubles.

Strangely, while there is an option to drop down and renew on my Pro Tools Ultimate $399 renewal, there is NO option on my Pro Tools Standard Academic license.

I opened a support case 03728936 and was told I can't do it.

Quote:
From Pro Tools Expert: https://bit.ly/2Is9AsY

Q - If my Support Contract on my Perpetual license expires after July 1, 2019, can it be renewed beforehand at the older price?

A - Yes, you can renew the upgrade and support plan on your perpetual license prior to its expiration date. This will simply extend the end of your current plan another year. This means that you can renew your plan before July 1, 2019 at the current price.
Anyone here able to help me out? Yet another Avid hoop to jump through. Just like a trained seal. Arf! Arf! Arf!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 06-19-2019, 11:55 AM

There is talk regarding re-instatment after letting a licence expire.
Dont wish to give wrong info, so an explanation on that one would be welcome.