Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2014, 05:41 AM

Default Re: What's up?

In case someone knows how to do this in a batch job, I would also welcome the information...
Old 09-22-2014, 04:47 AM

Guess what Guys I got my whole session back even though it took me a whole day and I suppose I could say that Pro tools is clever in one way. what I did was take all the files in from each track at a time and then spotted to pro tools . By doing this I was able to comp each track together a piece of cake.

Something I want to tell u guys during this process I got the message (that this file had the same id as another file and pro tools had to stamp it with a unique id before I could use it . The two files were 5.02-17 and 6-17 . I did this but I wasn't sure what to do then but I proceeded to delete the two hoping that the session might open then but it didn't, any ideas guys?

Thank you guys so much for putting me on this track!!!!!

Seamus
Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea View Post
Guess what Guys I got my whole session back even though it took me a whole day and I suppose I could say that Pro tools is clever in one way. what I did was take all the files in from each track at a time and then spotted to pro tools . By doing this I was able to comp each track together a piece of cake.

Something I want to tell u guys during this process I got the message (that this file had the same id as another file and pro tools had to stamp it with a unique id before I could use it . The two files were 5.02-17 and 6-17 . I did this but I wasn't sure what to do then but I proceeded to delete the two hoping that the session might open then but it didn't, any ideas guys?

Thank you guys so much for putting me on this track!!!!!

Seamus
It sounds like we are on the right track (no pun intended). Can you bring in every track excluding these two offending tracks? Perhaps stopping after every few track to make sure you have a "working" backup (in a session that can be opened) before proceeding. That way once you find a point that the session will not open, you'll know it was one of those tracks you last brought in that is causing the problem and can go back and skip that track or move on. I know this is tedious and you already spent a few days on this, but I'm just trying to help you get as much of your session back.

Corrupt files are a pain to deal with. Unfortunately they do happen in the computer world from time to time. Sometimes it is a glitch, sometimes it is user error. More often is is just that computers are doing so much simultaneously that something gets messed up. Not all apps are written to run with the awareness of other processes going on. All we can do is make backups and learn from these experiences.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
It sounds like we are on the right track (no pun intended). Can you bring in every track excluding these two offending tracks? Perhaps stopping after every few track to make sure you have a "working" backup (in a session that can be opened) before proceeding. That way once you find a point that the session will not open, you'll know it was one of those tracks you last brought in that is causing the problem and can go back and skip that track or move on. I know this is tedious and you already spent a few days on this, but I'm just trying to help you get as much of your session back.

Corrupt files are a pain to deal with. Unfortunately they do happen in the computer world from time to time. Sometimes it is a glitch, sometimes it is user error. More often is is just that computers are doing so much simultaneously that something gets messed up. Not all apps are written to run with the awareness of other processes going on. All we can do is make backups and learn from these experiences.
No Obsidan my new session was fine after pro tools restamped the files, it was the old corrupted session I tried to open after I deleted the files
I now have my session back in full thank god
Seamus
Old 09-22-2014, 12:06 PM

Good one. Unfortunately if this error happens things are corrupt in a way it is likely not obvious for Pro Tools to just fix it. There have been past bugs in old versions of Pro Tools that could throw thus error but they have long since been fixed.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Good one. Unfortunately if this error happens things are corrupt in a way it is likely not obvious for Pro Tools to just fix it. There have been past bugs in old versions of Pro Tools that could throw thus error but they have long since been fixed.
Darryl

it was obviously not fixed when it happened to me in 10
Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shea View Post
No Obsidan my new session was fine after pro tools restamped the files, it was the old corrupted session I tried to open after I deleted the files
I now have my session back in full thank god
Seamus
Ah. I see. Well all is good then…other than wondering why this happened in the first place. As you indicated, perhaps it was not completely fixed in PT10. File corruption still happens on all computers, operating systems and is not limited to certain applications. As others have stated, it is a good time to rethink our backup strategies.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
Ah. I see. Well all is good then…other than wondering why this happened in the first place. As you indicated, perhaps it was not completely fixed in PT10. File corruption still happens on all computers, operating systems and is not limited to certain applications. As others have stated, it is a good time to rethink our backup strategies.
Your absolutely right Boss

Thank you again everybody I must say if your in trouble this is the place to be and sometimes wee loose the head but with out any grudges
Thanks again

Seamus
Old 09-23-2014, 07:06 AM

Guys
I wonder would it be possible to extract a midi file from the session file or could avid even do it?
Is the midi stored anywhere else?
I'm still grateful that all the audio is now recovered

Seamus
Old 09-23-2014, 07:08 AM

Of course. Export MIDI is the function you will find from the File menu