Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-27-2003, 12:37 AM

Default ESB TDM ???

running OS 10.2.6 ... PTHD3 v6.1 / Logic 6.2.1

did we lose connection between Logic and PT using ESB TDM ... if so why do I have OSX versions of them in my plug folder ...

do I need to have something else for this to work ...

what happened to Direct Connect ...

DC does not show up on Aux track anymore to receive ESB info ...

DIgi, I paid for this feature, and now it is gone, is this correct ...

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-27-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Re: ESB TDM ???

bump ... help

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-27-2003, 03:50 PM

There is no DC in OSX so the ESB had to be implemented in a different way. You used to be able to stream the audio from Logic into PT because the ESB plug would actually show up in PT. The plugin no longer shows up because DC doesn't exist and I really have no idea why the plugin is put in the plugins folder. It can now only be used within Logic to route the audio from the native mixer in Logic to the TDM mixer in Logic which is actually what it was designed to do in the first place. I think the added bonus of sending audio from Logic to PT wasn't really supposed to be possible but I'm not sure. Anyway, if you check out the ESB OSX docs, you will find that you actually select the outputs for the ESB within the output section of the Logic native mixer.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:53 PM

thank you ... Digi will we see a version of DC so we can use it the old better way ...

peace john

RME BabyFace Pro
Old 09-27-2003, 07:01 PM

Nope I am in the same boat named SOL
Old 09-27-2003, 08:10 PM

Seems like Emagic could potentially make Logic a Rewire application. But I doubt they would do that.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:02 AM

Jason -

So if you use Logic in front of Digi hardware, OSX, you have the same functionality as in OS 9, e.g. the ability to route native-running virtual instruments into a stereo aux track via the ESB plugin?

thanks,

Andy
Old 10-03-2003, 12:56 PM

Hi Andy,

I am in the middle of my mega-upgrade - from MIX3/OS9 to HD3 Accel/OSX. It hasn't been easy... My latest discovery: The functionality that we came to rely on - taking audio out of Logic via ESB and routing it into PT -- well, kiss that baby goodbye in OSX.

The Emagic rep I spoke with told me that "it was an undocumented feature of OS9 and we shouldn't expect it to be there in the future..."

He couldn't comprehend why I prefer to mix in PT.

My workflow is usually: start a song somewhere - doesn't matter if it's PT or Logic -- maybe start in PT on a rhythm date - then bounce a submix to Logic... then sweeten and sequence -- all the time using PT as my mixer. I only have to build the vocal chain once. Guitar effects... all my mixing subgroups. Once. HUI assignments. Once. In protools.

I would then work in Logic - feeding outputs via ESB to PT... when the time came, I'd put some tracks into record, then print to PT. Now, with Logic 6, I'll freeze tracks when possible.

But that's not going to happen unless Emagic restores the functionality that they claim was never inteded.

I'm bummed. This will be a major workflow downer and may encourage me to work more and more in PT whenever possible.

Hope all's well,

Jeremy
Old 10-03-2003, 02:04 PM

eMagic needs to implement Logic as a ReWire slave (in addition the to the existing master functionality). Then we could simply ReWire the Logic outputs into Pro Tools 6.

Mark
Old 10-03-2003, 04:03 PM

Jeremy wrote,

" The Emagic rep I spoke with told me that "it was an undocumented feature of OS9 and we shouldn't expect it to be there in the future..."

That's odd. I was told the exact opposite by an Emagic tech. Of course, I haven't recieved ANY response to my many emails, over the last six months, to emagic. It's amazing how hard it is to get any concrete info from this company.