Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 06-27-2002, 01:13 PM

Default Setting up Session for feature-length Final Cot Pro project

Hello All,

I am trying to prepare the sound edit for a feature-length film that I edited in Final Cut Pro 3. Since I have up to eight tracks of audio running throughout the piece, and since OMF exports cannot exceed 2 GB in size, I've had to break up the film into 20-30 min. sections and export the OMFs from those individual sequences. I am using Pro Tools LE and an MBox. Here are my questions.

1. How do I copy/paste edited tracks from one session into another, so that I can have one long session that runs the entire length of the movie?

2. When the OMF tool creates a Pro Tools session, how do I change the session settings so that the clock/position will display Hrs:Min:Sec:Frames for my 29.97 drop-frame movie? The only options I see are bars/beats and minutes/seconds (w/ .xxx).

3. How do I set the session window to start at 00:59:00:00 instead of 00:00:00:00, since picture start is at 1:00:00:00?

Thanks in advance.

- Ray Chung
Old 06-27-2002, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Setting up Session for feature-length Final Cot Pro project

Pro Tools LE doesn't show time code. There is no Time Code Ruler. It can time stamp or preserve original time stamp.

There is a time code template flooting around the DUC. I haven't tried. You should do a search for: Time Code Template. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2002, 01:36 PM

DOES NOT SHOW TIMECODE?!!!!! Are you f----in' kidding me?! What the heck is the point of getting this for video/film work?!! Unbelieveable!! It's not like timecode is an important thing when it comes to editing or anything! This is unreal. I guess my only other option would be to sync everything to a 2-beep or something. Tell me you can at least import edited tracks from another session. I'm in shock here....
Old 06-27-2002, 01:42 PM

I really hate telling people that.

Oh well. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2002, 09:48 PM

yeah, it's a big downer. If you go to the Answerbase, they have a whole MIDI work around to the SMPTE problem but it isn't much help. They just try and convince you that you don't really need an SMPTE ruler.

And good luck finding the Template, I have asked for it a couple times on this forum and no one will send it to me.

If it makes you feel any better, I know exactly what you are going through right now.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:25 PM

Heres the post with the link, kids.

http://duc.digidesign.com/cgi-bin/ub...;f=24;t=008470

Hope the template works out for ya.
Old 06-28-2002, 01:12 AM

Yes you can import edited tracks from another session. To do this you will have to use the "import tracks" command (you will find it under "file").

Using the timecode template will allow you to edit and nudge in TC plus view TC in the subtime counter. It will not, however, allow you to spot in TC. To do spotting you will need some sort of time format calculator to convert your spot points to min:sec. I have seen some freeware floating around the net, so do a search.

And, yes, the missing TC is a nuissance for video work, but it seems to me that digidesign did not want people to buy a small audio editing suite comparable to a TDM system consiting of a mix card+interface for as little as $995!