Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2006, 06:05 PM

Default Seperating midi drums [notes] to seperate tracks?

how do you seperate midi drums to seperate tracks?

i have th whole performance on oone midi track and am seperating it out
to have kick, snare, hh, on their own tracks.

copy paste doesn't seem to place the notes in the right place.

copying the whole file and deleting the unwanted notes works
but i was wondering if there is another way.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: Seperating midi drums [notes] to seperate tracks?

Copying the individual drum notes and then using cut/paste should work as long as the playback head is at the position of the first note. Basically it will paste starting at wherever the playback head currently is located.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Seperating midi drums [notes] to seperate trac

I believe this is a new feature in Pro Tools 7.
But anyways, you can do this by selecting your midi data and option-3
Here you can select quantize, groove quantize, quantize input, whatever, and you
wanna select the Split Note option...and you wanna split notes into different tracks per pitch...
Old 02-21-2006, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Seperating midi drums [notes] to seperate tracks?

gollywillickers

You could also use Single Note mode.

In theory if you know the amount of pieces your using for your overall drum sound (i.e. double kick, two or three snares, toms, cymbols ...etc) and you can identify which octave and note these pieces correspond to, duplicate as many tracks as required to isolate each drum piece, click Track Height>Single Note mode, select octave and note corresponding to the drum piece you want that track to represent.

For example, if the double kick is sitting at octave 1 note C1 in the MIDI track, selecting octave 1 note C1 in the same MIDI track in Single Note mode, should result in only the double kick showing on that track. The snare 1 might be sitting at octave 1 note C# in the next MIDI track, so selecting octave 1 note C# in the Track Height>Single Note mode in the same MIDI track, should result in only the Snare 1 showing on that track, repeating this for the next track and so on and so on.

Now this is only in theory for I have not tried this one out myself, but this is how I setup my MIDI drum tracks and routing.

filosofem