Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2013, 10:56 AM

Default Mbox 2 Pro Input Monitoring constantly, even with No Tracks in Pro Tools 11

I have a legacy Mbox 2 Pro (2nd generation I think - the blue face one). Just upgraded to Pro Tools 11 and installed the newest available MBox2 Pro drivers from the Avid site.

Input audio is passing through the Mbox and out the Monitor and Headphone outputs even when no tracks are record enabled. Same thing even when no tracks are created in a (blank) session. Happens with both the SPDIF and Analog inputs. It makes no difference if I switch between Input Only Monitoring and Auto Input Monitoring.

As an experiment, I set the Hardware Buffer Size to the maximum setting and turned off Low Latency Monitoring. The resulting latency allows me to hear when audio is being monitored via the computer vs. direct from the Mbox. I hear the delayed audio monitoring as it should (Auto Input Monitoring: switches from input to playback; Input Only Monitoring: monitors delayed Input Audio over playback).

Problem is the Hardware-Direct audio never goes away, ever. Until I quit Pro Tools, then everything flows as it should, for instance I can play a quicktime audio file through my monitors and the Mbox doesn't pass any input audio.

Obviously this is a problem when recording in the same room as monitors (feedback). I never had this problem with PT 10. Is there some strange MBox 2 Pro issue?

System:
Macbook Pro 2012 2.4 Ghz i5
8 MB RAM
MBox 2 Pro (2nd Gen Blue-Face edition)
Old 09-12-2013, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Pro Input Monitoring constantly, even with No Tracks in Pro Tools 11

I have the same issue
any fix??
Old 09-12-2013, 04:21 PM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Pro Input Monitoring constantly, even with No Tracks in Pro Tools 11

I managed to fix this .....
first you open pro tools 11 and you have input monitoring even if you don't open a session. ...now close pro tools 11 and open pro tools 10. 3.7 ....now you don't have input monitoring. ...close and reopen pro tools 11. ....input monitoring gone...so you re ready to record properly
my machine is hackintosh with i7 3820..16 giga ram ..mountain lion 10.8.4 with the latest drivers for mbox 2 pro (for 10 and 11)
hope I helped
Old 10-16-2013, 06:03 PM

I am experiencing the same issue. I'm running an MBox 2 Pro (blue face, Firewire 400 connection) with latest driver, on a computer that has 11.0.2 and 10.3.7 installed.

Starting up a session in 11.0.2, any live input is routed through to the monitor outputs even when there are no tracks in the session.

Saving and closing that session, and then opening it in 10.3.7, causes it to revert to prior correct behavior, inputs are only heard when record enabled on tracks in a session. Quitting 10.3.7 and relaunching the same session in 11.0.2, now that one behaves properly as well. Input audio is only heard when coming through a record-enabled track, and can be muted on the track if desired.

But not for long. The corrective fix does not persist through a shut down and restart cycle.

I have confirmed this is happening on two different Macs: a late 2012 Mini, and a late 2007 Mac Book Pro. The same symptom and temporary fix, but the fix doesn't last through a restart.

In case anyone isn't familiar with the MBox 2 Pro, this is NOT one of the MBoxes that has a "Mix" knob that allows listening to live inputs, or output of a session, or a blend thereof. This box, up until PT11, had to do all its monitoring through the session. But now it has disturbingly gained live input monitoring that cannot be turned off!

I have tried the smaller MBox 2 Mini on the two systems mentioned above, and they don't suffer from this problem with the MBox 2 Mini. Just the MBox 2 Pro (Firewire).

This is a serious issue for me. Any ideas for remediation? Or has this interface just been unofficially obsoleted even though it's nominally still approved for PT11?
Old 10-23-2013, 08:09 AM

I have this exact same issue as well, with the MBOX 3G. It's made recording with it exceedingly annoying and will be uninstalled shortly (going back to 10.3.7)
Old 12-23-2013, 07:04 PM

I'm late to the party but having the same issue. I don't suppose anyone has a resolution or viable workaround? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:02 AM

Same here. Macbook. Mbox 3.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:27 AM

Has anyone found a fix for this issue?
I'm having this same problem.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2014, 03:13 PM

anybody?
Old 08-28-2014, 06:20 AM

MBox 2 Pro, OS 10.9.4, PT's 11.2.1 Pro Tools HD (CPTK upgrade)
No control of input monitoring (Bleed)
Can't calibrate to system.
PT's 10.3.9 is fine and the only way to track or calibrate.

Tried the manual remove drivers reinstall legacy 10.3.3 drivers
Tried the MBox 3 Pro drivers
Short of the Exchange program to HD Native This box needs a legacy driver update before V11 can be accurately used.

MBox2 pro to 3 pro exchange?