Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 03:31 AM

Default Re: Carbon - Intel Mac mini vs M1/M1x Mac mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Ok thank you. Please explain, does this mean PT/Carbon might soon be compatible?
I have to admit guys, I come from an analog background…I’m a little in over my head with regard to modifying my new iMac with a complicated OS downgrade all the tech work arounds…

Just need a solid plan here for my Carbon setup. So perhaps if I wait for compatibility I’ll be in better shape - or I can also return the iMac to Apple for now and wait…

Thanks again !
Carbon works with M1 and M1 Pro/Max.
Carbon works with Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey.
Carbon works with PT 2020.11 and later.

The problem is that PT doesn't work well with Monterey. If you have an M1 Pro/Max, you have to use Monterey. (And in your case, you have a machine which needs to be downgraded to Big Sur, which is complex).

There are some issues with communication between Carbon and certain Mac hardware, OS and PT versions. But no one has got to the bottom of this problem.

The real issue is PT and Monterey don't work well together.
Old 12-08-2021, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Definitely. That's my plan. I'm prepared for a long wait before PT comes with native code for Apple silicon. And that's OK because I'm hoping to buy a new mac when the next generation arrives.

Not a good idea in my opinion. Very little chance of success. IMO.
I just called Apple NL, and they said that the iMac will most likely ship with Big Sur.. which would be great. iMac delivered tomorrow ,I’ll report back tomorrow .
Thanks all!
Old 12-08-2021, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Carbon works with M1 and M1 Pro/Max.
Carbon works with Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey.
Carbon works with PT 2020.11 and later.

The problem is that PT doesn't work well with Monterey. If you have an M1 Pro/Max, you have to use Monterey. (And in your case, you have a machine which needs to be downgraded to Big Sur, which is complex).

There are some issues with communication between Carbon and certain Mac hardware, OS and PT versions. But no one has got to the bottom of this problem.

The real issue is PT and Monterey don't work well together.
Thanks for the clarification! Makes sense now.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:08 AM

This all confirms what Apple support shared with me earlier: M1 can be downgraded to Big Sur / M1 Pro & M1 Max cannot, as they require Monterey.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable clarifications & explanations. Armed with a Carbon, this M1 Mini is my first Apple CPU since using a Quadra 840AV w/system 7.5.1 and Session 8. PT has been all Windows during the past decades over here.
At PlethoraTone:
Mac Mini M1, Avid Carbon,
PSP, Waves Mercury, UAD, Kush, Slate Digital,
PA, Melodyne, Antares, Audioease, SoundToys
Old 12-09-2021, 02:39 PM

Hey all.
New iMac arrived. Beautiful machine.
Arrived with Monterey OS installed.
I installed new PT ultimate update 2021.12 - including new firmware for Carbon.
Also installed bundle plugins and my plugs from Softube and Cymotic.
Everything is working brilliantly! I worked for several hours on sessions new and old and not a single issue. New iMac seems to be very quick and powerful as well.
No fan noise that I noticed.

The only issue is a handful of plugins from the Avid complete bundle that did not Load. Pro tools displays a window upon start up with a list of the inactive plugins and states that they are not compatible with the new OS and require updates from their respective developers. I guess I’ll work on that tomorrow - although I’m not currently using any of the plug-ins on the list.

A very minor setback and I have to say I’m really happy with the upgrade.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2021, 03:09 PM

Monterey is not supported yet (hopefully soon) so things like this are expected. Also the plugin bundle of Avid has not been updated for ages and is way overdue. The update may be any day now, or they may wait until everything is Apple Silicon native code. Nobody knows.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Monterey is not supported yet (hopefully soon) so things like this are expected. Also the plugin bundle of Avid has not been updated for ages and is way overdue. The update may be any day now, or they may wait until everything is Apple Silicon native code. Nobody knows.
Thanks for the update Janne. Where/ how might I be notified when the bundle is updated.
Regarding sessions from my previous machine that use the 304C and Fairchild 660… Should I open them on old CPU, “freeze” or “commit” the tracks using those plugs, and re-save in order to work on the sessions on the new machine ??

Thanks y’all !
Old 12-14-2021, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
Thanks for the update Janne. Where/ how might I be notified when the bundle is updated.
Regarding sessions from my previous machine that use the 304C and Fairchild 660… Should I open them on old CPU, “freeze” or “commit” the tracks using those plugs, and re-save in order to work on the sessions on the new machine ??

Thanks y’all !
Any suggestions for a workaround on my current sessions that use the Fairchild and 304 plugins which aren’t yet working on my new rig?

I can fire up my laptop and freeze or commit I suppose … Any other smarter ways of approaching this? Hopefully these plugs are updated soon… I like them.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2021, 02:04 AM

Hopefully we see progress in early 2022. Apple just updated Monterey to 12.1 version and it seems to have fixed the memory leak problems. Too early to confirm, but if that is the case, then Avid has something to build on. So I would expect Apple Silicon native PT software (and plugins) within the first quarter. But it is just an educated guess, nothing more. Hang in there!
Old 12-14-2021, 06:03 AM

Okee Dokee

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...