Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-17-2009, 02:56 AM

Default Euphonix MC control/mix + Pro Tools LE 8 users here?

Hey people,

I'm thinking about getting a Euphonics MC Control and/or Mix. I've been reading a lot of threads about it on the forum. I read some praise but also a lot of bad things, like:

1. It's features are limited with Pro Tools LE.
2. Only Digirack plugin parameters can be controlled succesfully, other plugins not or not really
3. It's unstable, connection issues, slow response with buttons.

Most of them were pretty old threads (a year or older). I'm curious if there are any users here that can say some, if not all, of those problems are solved!
Old 11-17-2009, 03:48 AM

Default Re: Euphonix MC control/mix + Pro Tools LE 8 users here?

I know that their drivers are really hit or miss. The last update causes many problems for users.
I cannot comment on features.
TD
Old 11-17-2009, 05:29 AM

recently bought the mc transport and i'm sending it back... jog wheel didn't do the one thing i was hoping it would: control plug-in knobs and faders. so, back it goes.
godin multiac nylon acs & axon ax50 midicontroller
adam a7's & sub8
Old 11-17-2009, 09:07 AM

Hello All,

The problem is not the MC Control or the MC Mix, those units function perfectly fine. The problem is that digi does not support the EUCON protocol natively. So the those units run off the very limited HUI protocol. there are fader bank issues, it will only utilize four knobs on the unit instead of 8....and so on.

However, they did find unique ways to use the jog wheel like NUDGE faders, and slip edits.

So really Digidesign should think about supporting EUCON, if and when they do it will open up tons of new option for these awesome units.

Look at the integration they have with Logic....its off the charts.
in my opinion they are great controllers, they control transport,faders,pan, and some plug in control. and the soft key option to customize it anyway you like is just AWESOME. Stacking key commands is great..I don't even turn Quick Keys on anymore.

I don't know why you would think that a jog dial would control plug ins, its mainly for navigation. So don't not purchase the unit based on that comment.

That's just my 0.02.

PEACE
Old 11-17-2009, 10:33 AM

on the euphonix site they show a video for the mc transport where they use the jog wheel to control plug in knobs and faders. however, that part of the video is only for logic. i didn't realize this so it was my mistake. however, that is precisely why i bought the unit. i wanted to select knobs, faders, etc with the mouse and use the jog wheel with my left hand to dial in values. my thought was to speed up workflow and give my mouse hand a break from dragging all the time which gets cumbersome. hopefully euphonix and pro tools can come together at some point and i'll most likely buy the unit again.
godin multiac nylon acs & axon ax50 midicontroller
adam a7's & sub8
Old 11-17-2009, 01:15 PM

Hey Micline,

I will definately use those soft key macros for editing but I mainly would use it for mixing. If plugin control is limited and things like fader bank problems are still unsolved, then I think the MC control/MC mix just isn't for me .
Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Hey Man,

I totally agree. Get the controller that you know you will use most. The Mackie controllers are very nice. Tascam has some nice options. There is tons of stuff to pick from.

I use Logic as well, so the MC Control with Logic, like I said is off the charts. and then, when I am in protools I get faders for automation, transport, and some plug in control. SO I am Happy