Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-13-2009, 12:16 PM

Default any happy Euphonix MC Mix/Control users out there?

Hello DUC:

In another studio, I'm mixing a new show with an MC Control, and two MC Mixes installed on a Mac Pro 3.0 Ghz/9GB RAM with 10.5.6, and PTHD 8.0.0cs2, and the recent Euphonix firmware upgrade. We've triplechecked all of our connections, software and hardware, and the units are recognized and functioning via HUI protocol in Pro Tools. BUT, performance is really poor. Clicking on the timeline in PT causes the units to randomly bank, and using markers to show and hide tracks causes banking errors as well. Is this as much as we can expect from the EuCon/Pro Tools combination? If so, we're pretty discouraged.

Any thoughts from the DUC braintrust here?

Thanks,

Nathaniel Reichman
Old 05-13-2009, 05:24 PM

Default Re: any happy Euphonix MC Mix/Control users out there?

i've been pretty successful with the MCmix and MCcontrol. They can bank a little weirdly when going beyond the boundaries, but pretty good on the whole.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:37 PM

Sorry to hear that. I have nothing but praise for my MC Mix. One thing that was happening with me in the beginning was that I was constantly getting the random "jittery" faders which drove me [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]ing crazy. Honestly, I was ready to send it back or throw it off a cliff. Then, after some troubleshooting I figured out I didn't have the latest firmware installed (duh). That fixed it, and it has run perfectly every since.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:37 AM

I haven't yet update to the latest software posted(May 13) which claims that resolves the
response of the touchscreen,(that was quite an issue),and probably a few fader issues.
One thing i have notice is that i always turn both of them on after the system boots,otherwise you may have to wait for ever for the initialization.
The Monitor Express app is quite usefull too,but it does not have a way to store the settings,so if you plug-unplug the selected Core Audio Device,you should do the i/o configuration from scratch,so i keep a screenshot just in case.
Old 05-14-2009, 02:07 AM

how are you using the monitor express app with Pro Tools?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteloop View Post
how are you using the monitor express app with Pro Tools?
I have a MetricHalo 2882 stated as a Core Audio Device(any other will do-Apogees are working better since they are Eucon Fully Compatible)
and so the routing(5.1)is done via this way:ADAT OUT from the 192->ADAT IN to MH,Analog Out from MH-->(4) Crown Amplifiers-->Speakers.I do have a few clockin issues,and probably we wiil make the switch for an SPL Monitor Controller,comes more handy to control the level pot and do individual speaker mutes,plus the mute and dim dispays both on the MC and the Monitor Express,are sometimes(for my eyes...) hard to view :->
Old 05-14-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
i've been pretty successful with the MCmix and MCcontrol. They can bank a little weirdly when going beyond the boundaries, but pretty good on the whole.
Hmm... I'm trying to figure out if we have an actual problem with our configuration, or whether my workflow is just exposing the bugs everyone has.

About 1 out of 3 times when I click on the timeline to locate to a certain point, all the faders snap up and down, and then I'm banked randomly down somewhere. Really annoying.

And then, if I click on a marker that shows only the tracks for my DLG stem (for example), I have a 50/50 chance that the Euphonix will fill the faders starting from the left most track. Often it leaves me way out in the middle somewhere.

We have a Control 24 in another studio, and it performs flawlessly. What I'd give for a small-footprint, real Avid control surface with 24 faders...
Old 05-14-2009, 06:18 AM

The one I use sometimes doesn't like to bank so much, and sometimes will only populate the left 4 faders. It probably needs a firmware update though.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:18 AM

Hello,

Does anybody work with an Euphonix Mc Control on Protools HD 8?

I am very interested by this Control Machine as I want to change my MCU.

Could the MC Control surface Soft Keys recall a track as we make it by the import session data menu, like one "touch" to get a track with all the stuff on it( plug-ins/ routing, send....?

Any idea?

Thanks

PT 7.4 HD2 Accel 192i/o OSX4.9 MacPro 2.66 7 Go
Old 05-20-2009, 11:46 AM

Just an update with help from Euphonix: turning off "bank to selected" in the EuControl General settings fixed my timeline issue. There are still banking quirks, but my problems are now 70% better.

I'll write this again so Avid gets it: We need a small-footprint, 24-fader surface built for use with Pro Tools. The Command-8 is too small, and the C|24 is too big!

Best,

Nathaniel Reichman