Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 03-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Default wierdness-PT 7.4 only launches w/ 002 off....

hi folks, wondering if anyone's seen this.

powermac g5
g5>owc drive>002R

starting today, if the 002R is turned on, i only get a spinning wheel when launching PT. no amount of status bar increase. as soon as i turn it off, the status bar loads up to the point at which it gives the "inable to locate digi hardware" warning. if i turn on, it still wont recognize. the, if i CANCEL, it stays frozen-until i turn 002 off!

any clues on this?

ps- as another wierd coincidence, this morning my g5 would not recognize any OWC drive(regardless of port OR cable), but would recognize a Lacie drive. i tried this 6-8 times, same thing. then, all of a sudden, it started recognizing the OWC. now, above problem!

thanks for any help.

EDIT:i have narrowed the problem to the OWC drives. for some reason, PT will launch w/ 002R directly connected to comp, but not VIA the drive. i remember it being told that one was supposed to run PT in the COMP>EXT DRIVE>DIGI002 manner. is this true/necessary? or should i just revert to the ext drive plugged into another firewire port?
Old 03-14-2009, 01:11 PM

Default Re: wierdness-PT 7.4 only launches w/ 002 off....

I've always run the 002 right into the computer - as I've had problems in the past, with drives "Disconnecting" during operation, while in a loop With the 002 - either at the front of the loop, or the back of the loop.

I would "Imagine" the 002 should be connected directly to the computer, and drives, connected to the Digi's other FW port.

Again, I've had lots of problems with hardware disconnecting, drives, AND the 002 - running them both off 1 FW Port on the computer.

If you can keep the 002 on it's own Port, and your recording drive on another, I'd do that, before I'd daisy chain em.

- MacPro 6,1 Intel Xeon E5 2.7 GHz 12-Core 128 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
- HDX II Sonnet xMacPro Server
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT 2018.10
- OS X 10.14.4
- ProTools Dock / PT Control
Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM

thanks for that, kingfish.

so i was just able to run a session using the comp directly connected to 002. however, if i plug the OWC drive into the other port, i got a freeze up.

i currently have 2 internal drives installed in the desktop comp; the MAIN/boot drive has all the program info installed, the secondary one, a 750gb seagate, has the sessions im currently working on.

is this a bad format? i notice that i periodically get a error about "the DAW cant get audio from the drive fast enough". is this related to my work format? thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
thanks for that, kingfish.

so i was just able to run a session using the comp directly connected to 002. however, if i plug the OWC drive into the other port, i got a freeze up.

i currently have 2 internal drives installed in the desktop comp; the MAIN/boot drive has all the program info installed, the secondary one, a 750gb seagate, has the sessions im currently working on.

is this a bad format? i notice that i periodically get a error about "the DAW cant get audio from the drive fast enough". is this related to my work format? thanks for the help.
I believe this setup is ideal(recording to a second internal drive). If this setup is giving you the error message("the DAW cant get audio from the drive fast enough") I would be in emergency backup mode right away. Before doing anything else, copy all your sessions to another drive. A message like this one may mean the drive is about to die. Back to the original QQ about the order of daisy-chaining the 002 and drive, DIGI recommends this order)Computer>drive>002) based on the premise that if you shut down the 002 and the drive is still writing data, it will corrupt the data and possibly destroy a session. It will all function in either order of attachment(you just need to NOT shut the 002 down by itself to be safe). I would start testing each individual part of this system and try to figure out if a certain pice(be it the OWC, the firewire port, a bad cable, etc) and then eliminate the failing part. Once you backup all your sessions(from that internal drive) I would run some drive diagnostic on it(wish I could be more specific but I am a PC user). Hope you get this sorted out.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-14-2009, 03:29 PM

albee, thanks a ton!!!

backup-i've learned my lesson. anything important lives on at least 3 different drives at a time. good advice.

diagnostic: as far as i can tell, its OWC drive related. although i am now able to run a session directly connected to a firewire port w/002, and an OWC drive in the other firewire port of G5. it gets wierder, though. neither OWC drive will recognize if i plug into the TOP firewire port, but the bottom one works fine.

i will try to run a disk utility on those two OWC drives.