Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2003, 07:15 AM

Default SMPTE locations

Do any of you have a way of typing in specific SMPTE locations (using the numeric keypad) in PT's LE?

I know that the DV Toolkit is soon coming (which includes working in time code) but what is the work around right now?

When a TDM, smpte session is opened in LE .... it does let you "nudge" by frames but what about going directly to a smpte location in a script (or getting to several locations for that matter).

Thanks
Old 04-30-2003, 07:25 AM

Default Re: SMPTE locations

Well, you could start by making your LE session have the same HH:MM:SS:MIL start time as the TDM's HH:MM:SS:FF start time. That way, if you need to quickly get to 01:09:34:22 SMPTE time in LE, you can just hit the * key on the keypad followed by 01:09:34.732 and you'll be about .6 milliseconds off the exact frame.

OR - you could import any old Quicktime movie with the type of TC window burn you need (drop or non drop, etc.), spot the 01:00:00:00 frame to 01:00:00.000 in LE and then you've got yourself a built-in TimeCode window burn.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:35 PM

Well one problem is that you can't just type in the code straight thru: you have to do the hour, then arrow, minute then arrow and so forth ... unlike the TDM system. And, how do you know that 732 milliseconds equals 22 frames????????

Also even with the burn-in code on the quicktime how does that help me type in exact time code locations. I need to type them in, not scroll to a location.

Thanks,
spc
Old 05-01-2003, 11:49 AM

Hi SPC, I've been trying to find workarounds for spot mode with SMPTE and haven't found any that actually work with any degree of efficiency. Fortunately, I do more sound FX than dialogue, so I only get hassled occasionally. Anyone else got bright ideas? Chris, your idea doesn't really work for posting audio to video because you generally need some room at the top of the session for tone and your 2 pop.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:02 AM

I just quickly checked out some shtuff on an in-house LE system here at work and my corrected advice to SPC is now:

Purchase the DV Toolkit... LE is just a hostile environment for specific timecode needs. I understand you want to type in the timecodes, but you could get there with a windowburn, too... by the way - what's your *specific* application here? What are you doing that you need to type in the timecodes, but can't click there in LE's forced/fake frame grid mode with a QT window burn?

As far as converting milliseconds to frames: each frame is about 33.3 ms - so 22x33.3 = 732.6.
Old 05-02-2003, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SPC:

I know that the DV Toolkit is soon coming (which includes working in time code) but what is the work around right now?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Until DV Toolkit comes out, the workaround for working at home is to dig up your old version of Pro-Tools 4.3.

I have both versions on my computer at home. I open up v 4.3, import my quicktime movie, synch it up to the smpte time line. save the session and quit 4.3 switch DAE folders, DAE Prefs, and the Digi Sys INIT extention, and then open up the session in pro-tools LE. start cutting away, but don't touch your movie track.

Usually I synch my video on a TDM system so that when I open it up in LE, I can still nudge frames, and you don't have to hassle with switching between versions of pro-tools which is a pain.

so as for work arounds, I don't know of any other way.
- dave
Old 05-04-2003, 12:23 AM

Hi Chris,

The application is that I need to follow time coded lines of a script for a 20 minute long show (to do over dubs). I have to quickly be able to get to the actors lines which are spread out in various areas throughout the script. THERE IS NO TIME TO BE CLICKING AROUND TO FIND THE SPOT ... the director wouldn't sit to well with that method!
Have any of you heard of some software called "Spot Buddy"? When is the DV Tool kit due?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Opening up the TDM session is cool for nudging in frames but I still need to type in those locations (to place ADR beeps at that spot).

Thanks