Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2021, 06:05 AM

Default Uninstalling before updates

I am upgrading Pro Tools 12.8.3 to 2020.12 on Mac Catalina.

Do I need to uninstall the old version first?

I have heard conflicting advice on whether Pro Tools requires an uninstall before upgrading to a newer version, can anyone give clarification on this please?
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin
Old 01-07-2021, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Uninstalling before updates

That was DigiDesign era

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
I am upgrading Pro Tools 12.8.3 to 2020.12 on Mac Catalina.

Do I need to uninstall the old version first?

I have heard conflicting advice on whether Pro Tools requires an uninstall before upgrading to a newer version, can anyone give clarification on this please?
No need to uninstall. On macOS, apps are located in the Applications foldern default and updating an app will just overwrite the current app in the Applications folder. That is the case for all Apple apps and most third-party follow that procedure, including Pro Tools. Some might give you the option to drag the app over manually.

A common practice I recommend to users is to create a separate Archive folder (i.e. in your user directory) and before you upgrade an app (that you rely on), drag a copy to that folder. This way, you always have the option to launch a previous version of an app in case something went wrong with the current app.

You can just double-pick on an app to launch it, it doesn't have to be placed in the Applications folder.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 01-08-2021, 02:22 AM

Thanks.

A few retailers are still saying to uninstall in their customer guidance which is confusing and why I was asking.

Although not required is there anything to be gained from uninstalling first? ie. Would it clean out any other older files which might provide a cleaner install and less likelihood of any issues in the future? I use App Cleaner on the Mac when I trash an app.
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin
Old 01-08-2021, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
No need to uninstall. On macOS, apps are located in the Applications foldern default and updating an app will just overwrite the current app in the Applications folder. That is the case for all Apple apps and most third-party follow that procedure, including Pro Tools. Some might give you the option to drag the app over manually.

A common practice I recommend to users is to create a separate Archive folder (i.e. in your user directory) and before you upgrade an app (that you rely on), drag a copy to that folder. This way, you always have the option to launch a previous version of an app in case something went wrong with the current app.

You can just double-pick on an app to launch it, it doesn't have to be placed in the Applications folder.
Can't agree with the latter statement. Have had issues with programs NOT being in the Applications folder. Easiest thing to do is to just rename the existing program version BEFORE doing any update. And leave it in the Applications folder.

Don't forget that there's a myriad of support files that go with an application that are not in the Applications folder. You know things like the plugins folders, etc.

QAPLA!
Old 01-10-2021, 08:23 PM

You don't need to uninstall the old version. A newer version of Pro tools will save in the application folder where all other applications are saved.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:40 PM

General comments in the past would indicate that it may be advisable to uninstall the old version if you have a PC (which I do), but not necessary if you are using a Mac.

MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA2011, i7 5930 3.5 GHZ 6 core 12 threads, Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4 2400MHZ, NVIDIA Quadro K2200, LG 16x Blu-ray writer, Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD for OS, Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 1 TB SSD for samples, four WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 6Gb/s 7,200 RPM drives (audio, samples, video x 2), EVGA Supernova 750W G2 PSU, Corsair Cooling Hydro H100I V2, W 10 Pro, 4 TB WD USB3 external backup, PT 2020.5, IK Sampletank 4 Max, AIR IEP, Wavelab Pro 10, RME Fireface UFX w USB2 connection.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh1 View Post
General comments in the past would indicate that it may be advisable to uninstall the old version if you have a PC (which I do), but not necessary if you are using a Mac.
And don't forget to take a trip through the registry.

QAPLA!