Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-08-2022, 11:45 AM

Default Assembling a trailer from the 5.1 deliverables

I am wondering what is the fastest way to re-assemble a trailer.
You've got the AAF (may have EDL too) from the off line editor, who worked with a stereo mixdown or stereo stems.
I would like to quickly re-assemble it from original 5.1 stems.

The PT field recorder workflow won't work as the metadata is different.
I didn't try it with my Matchbox but it seems to be more a re-conforming tool.
Do people do it with Kraken or EdiLoad? It should be quite simple....

Sound Designer
/ mixer
www.goorevich.com

PT HD⎪N v2023.12 Ultimate ● macOS Ventura 13.6.3
MacPro 7.1 (2019) 3.2GHz Intel Xeon W 16-Core ● 96 GB RAM
MTRX Studio + DADman 5.7.0.1 + MOM ● Sync HD ● AJA Kona LHi referenced by AJA GEN10 ● D-Command ES24
Old 12-08-2022, 01:09 PM
Sounds In Sync

Default Re: Assembling a trailer from the 5.1 deliverables

EdiLoad can do this. See the video in the following blog post that runs through the whole process:

Reversioning Pro Tools mixes with EdiLoad

Regards,

Mark
www.soundsinsync.com
Old 12-13-2023, 12:28 PM

Reassembling a trailer from original 5.1 stems is a unique challenge, especially when you're more accustomed to stereo mixes so I don't think there is a way to make this process faster. I haven't tried to reassemble a truck, but I often get all the equipment and trucks from this second-hand marketplace for my construction business: https://www.boomandbucket.com/equipment/trucks. Besides the products they have, they might also help with vehicle reassembly. It could be a real time-saver and help you avoid damages during the process.

Last edited by shea; 12-15-2023 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2023, 01:31 PM

For sure Ediload is excellent for this.

Also Matchbox - presuming trailer has clips in it which are cut from full length program, and contain timecode relating to it:
- load the entire "original" film as "old sequence"
- load trailer cut as "new sequence" using edl or xml
- select clips in "new" which are cut from full-length program and use command called something like "promote selected clips to match ranges"

-jeremiah
Old 12-13-2023, 01:41 PM

FWIW - I've done a ton of this on a series of behind the scenes docs, which had many hundreds of feature film clips, across multiple long-archived films.

The biggest challenge was locating 5.1 (or whatever cinema format) which exactly matches whatever stereo version the editor was cutting with.

In some cases it's easy, because there's one version of the show. But if it's a big studio release, there may be many versions created for home distro, play on airplanes, different theatrical or home releases with different logos at the head which affect timing, 23.98 vs 24.00FPS, and even editorial changes. IF the editor started from the home theater release and all you have are theatrical 5.1 at filmspeed, you have to do some pre-conform work.

best practice evolved to: sync-check the editor's track(s) against 5.1 as a reconform preflight step. (use editor's guide as "placement master" prior to running reconform.)

-jeremiah
Old 12-17-2023, 06:57 PM
The Cargo Cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahmoore View Post
Also Matchbox - presuming trailer has clips in it which are cut from full length program, and contain timecode relating to it:
- load the entire "original" film as "old sequence"
- load trailer cut as "new sequence" using edl or xml
- select clips in "new" which are cut from full-length program and use command called something like "promote selected clips to match ranges"
-jeremiah
Note that you don't even need to load anything into the OLD timeline (unless you want pix to visual verify)

And if you have the AAF/EDLs you can probably do separate "Promote..." style reconforms for DX, FX and MX. If they've cut the trailer with your stem fold-downs you can select the FX clip and "promote..." for assembling the FX 5.1... DX for DX etc. Even run it on your mix sessions so you have elements where needed.

And if you don't have AAF/EDL you can often just use the video files or guide audio to match the trailer against the feature.