Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Real World Examples of VocAlign?

I was wondering if anyone can point out some vocals on some records that have used vocalign to some effect. I guess its mainly being used to line up double lead vocals to sound more in sync with the main vocal so that it is inaudible as a second track but sounds more like a thickener? Thanks
Old 09-16-2003, 04:14 PM

Default Re: Real World Examples of VocAlign?

the only stuff I KNOW was vocaligned was the older R Kelly stuff.
They would load up 2 2" decks with BG vocals then dump to PT, Vocalign then spit back to tape, to be mixed onto the master reels.
Old 09-16-2003, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone can point out some vocals on some records that have used vocalign to some effect. I guess its mainly being used to line up double lead vocals to sound more in sync with the main vocal so that it is inaudible as a second track but sounds more like a thickener? Thanks
www.fearzero.com

I used VocAlign on most of the doubles. The singer was very talented with excellent pitch and rythm so in some spots we just didnt need it. But overall we wanted a real tight double.

Shan

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 09-16-2003, 10:59 PM

I once used it to make a singer have better time: the producer sang the parts with good timing and we then voc aligned the "star" to that track and he suddenly found the pocket.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:49 AM

Yeah, I use it a lot on big pop bgv stacks... nice and tight, and really helps with diction.

Recently I did a tune that I cut the final vocals (leads and TONS of bgv parts) at one tempo and had to speed them up for the mix... I time compressed in Logic because I find that it does the best job of keeping the groove, then used VocAlign back in PT to match the original pass (the same one I compressed in Logic) and all the the matching bgvs to the compressed file. Way less artifacts than just compressing the individual files.