Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2009, 02:04 AM

Default Marching Band/Military Style Drums Midi Patterns

Does anyone know where I can download or purchase midi (type 0) samples/libraries containing GM/XG compatible Marching Band/Military style drum rolls (4/8/16 Bars w 1bar fills)?

I do not have a midi drum trigger w/ a pro drummer on hand... and it is increasingly challenging to program 'semi convincing' Snare Rolls.

I'm talking about 8/16/32 bar passages with Precise dynamic (velocity) and timing (un-quantized). Mostly what I end up with is very robotic (like 909 SD roll) or 1 bar rolls that do not sound right next to each other. My drum arpeggiators sound great for hand percussion type stuff but do very poorly for marching band/military style drums (imagine like what you'd hear before battle scenes in a war movie).

Any links or tips would be great!

thanks in advance

michae
myspace.com/miekwavesoundlab
Old 03-31-2009, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Marching Band/Military Style Drums Midi Patterns

What are you using for your sound source? That's what's gonna make or break the realism of your drum rolls, IMO.

I have Roland TD9 V-Drums kit, and if I load up a 909 kit, then sure the result is pretty much robotic and machine gun like (albeit combined with my sloppy timing) whereas other kits provide multi-sampled snares that offer far better realism.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accession View Post
What are you using for your sound source? That's what's gonna make or break the realism of your drum rolls, IMO.

I have Roland TD9 V-Drums kit, and if I load up a 909 kit, then sure the result is pretty much robotic and machine gun like (albeit combined with my sloppy timing) whereas other kits provide multi-sampled snares that offer far better realism.
I just want the a real performance in midi format. I have dozens of Roland JV/Yamaha CS kits as well (TD9 uses JV tone engine).

What I mean by 909ish like is offering to the robotics of the 'performance' not the sound source. 909 SD rolls are hard quantized to grid with predictable velocity curves, sound cool in electronic music, but not roll marching rolls.

I am looking for military style drums as midi...

Much like I play jazzy piano, I record it via midi and it captures all my velocity, timing, and after touch nuances that I can use on any patch, it sounds good on just about any e. piano patch.

I want the same flexibility for particular unquantized and dynamic rolls.

For example 16th/24th/32nd/48th notes with Hard Dynamics velocity on beat 1, 1.5 and 3, weaker dynamic velocity on beat 2 and 4 with soft 32/64th notes in between. If you quantize, or draw it in, it sounds cool, but robotic, no matter what sample or kit you use. Swing adds some flavor but its not the same...

Real unquantified snare roll performance has natural soft rushing/lagging notes preceding hard notes on the beat or beat division. As well as flamming, rushing or lagging double(like second 1/8th note)/triple(second and third of a triplet) swings. Natural dynamic (velocity) curves are saw or triangle like as well. Rushing notes have a sense of urgency and anticipation to them while lagging have a sense of closure and groove.

Inputting that one note at a time by hard and ear is a nightmare... hence why i was looking for marching band/military style rolls as Midi type 0 format.

michae
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM

If you're looking for (specifically) marching/military grooves, you might want to take a look at BFD-B.O.M.B. You would need to have BFD (version 1.5 or 2), but the expansion includes MIDI grooves as well as samples.

If you're just looking for ready-made drum patterns including rolls, flams, dynamics and the like, you might want to try some of the Groovemonkee grooves.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM

YES BFD-BOMB is pretty awesome I have that on my machine
Old 03-31-2009, 03:46 PM

Thanks spk!, I checke dthose out and BFD sound great, i even found smartloops.com to have some content.

groove monkey looks awesome

The problem with BFD is that I want to use my outboard drums for live show sequences/loops. Though it might be worth looking into.

michae
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miek07 View Post
The problem with BFD is that I want to use my outboard drums for live show sequences/loops. Though it might be worth looking into.
Well, you can use the MIDI grooves from the BFD-BOMB to trigger any sound source, so it definitely might be worth looking into.

Also, what are you using as "outboard drums"? Have you considered adding a Muse Research Receptor, or even a basic laptop to your live rig? It would expand your tonal capabilities 1000-fold.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 AM

spkguitar"Well, you can use the MIDI grooves from the BFD-BOMB to trigger any sound source, so it definitely might be worth looking into.

Also, what are you using as "outboard drums"? Have you considered adding a
Muse Research Receptor, or even a basic laptop to your live rig? It would expand your tonal capabilities 1000-fold. "

Maybe its not worth looking into, I did not realize BFD was 299 + 150 for BOMB. I use Roland JV/Yamaha CS drums on two keyboards and a rm1x sequencer remixer. I'm not looking for the 'real' thing for shows (I could just get a drummer down the hall for that). I've sequencing midi on HW sequencers for more than 10 years, so I'm familiar with a variety of midi programming styles.

You can see what keyboards I use on my studio page, ill give you a link at the bottom.

You might disagree but, I do not like to see performers use labtops in live shows, it reduces credibility, especially for analog freaks.

michae