Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 03-28-2016, 12:45 PM

Default Digi002 outputs and reamping

I've searched and searched for an answer to my problem. I have a 002 and I'm wanting to use my reamp box to reamp guitar tracks. I am coming out of the 002 output into my reamp box (real reamp box with ground lift and volume knob to adjust how hot the signal is, not a DI used backwards) into my pedalboard and then into my amp. The cable coming from the 002 to the reamp is a balanced TRS to Male XLR and then I'm using high quality guitar cables (mogami) to the pedalboard and/or amp.

No matter which output I use on the 002, I'm getting a terrible hum. It's even noticeable when the guitar track is playing. So the output is working, but there is a ton of noise. Both of my amps (Marshall SL5, Marshall JCM800).

The humming is noticeable when there isn't even a track playing. If I yank the cable from the 002, the amp is silent. I've triple checked my outputs, I only have 1 track going out to the amp and I have it solo'ed so that my mic doesn't pick up my montiors playing it back. I've even dropped the level of the send in Pro Tools way down to see if that might have been the issue.

All my DI tracks recorded with a DI and a preamp (not the onboard ones in the 002).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Digi002 outputs and reamping

I guess I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry guys running late and not thinking straight. Meant to put it in the 003,002 forum.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:42 PM

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem and it's killing me.
Old 09-19-2020, 03:46 PM

Have you gone through the steps to isolate any potential ground loops?

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 09-19-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdegennaro View Post
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the exact same problem and it's killing me.
What exact reamp box are you using? What exact amp?

Hopefully it is a transformer isolated box if hum is an issue.

Are you using a proper balanced cable from the 002? Check the cable with a multimeter. The 1/4" balanced TRS outputs to whatever folks are doing are frequent causes of issues with wrong cables.

As Tom asked what else have you tied? And basic troubleshooting for ground loops will include working through disconnecting other stuff from the 002, computer, power, etc. and seeing what introduced the hum. Trying stuff all on a single power outlet, etc. etc.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:26 PM

In addition to above, what type of connection does the re-amp box use for its input(from the 002)? If its balanced, you could try cutting the shield connection at the input of the re-amp box(which might sever the ground loop). Another option is to insert an isolation transformer between the 002 output and the re-amp box input. And one more possible solution would be to power all the gear from a single power outlet.

Last ditch idea, if the re-amp box input is not balanced, build a special cable. Use balanced cable and wire a TRS plug(for the 002 output) normally, but at the other end(that connects to the re-amp box), use a TS plug with the hot to tip, the cold to sleeve, and do not connect the shield at this end. This "floating" shield will do its job, but having no connection at the re-amp box, the ground loop is broken (a "floating" shield only connects to ground at one end)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave