Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Default Lowest buffer size and audio does not align with the grid

Even with the lowest possible buffer size (32 samples), my recordings are still 20 milliseconds behind the beat at the very least, sometimes even 85 milliseconds.
I tried using the "H/W insert delay" and it doesn't change anything, no matter what I put in for the delay. I tried manually inserting the delay in the mix window and this didn't really work either.
The only workaround that I can really think of is to manually trim the audio and then move it back, but this seems very inaccurate/inconsistent and tedious.

How I measured the delay: ran a click track and recorded my guitar trying to copy the beats of the click track. Measured the difference between the beginning of the guitar wave form and the measure line.

Is there a better way to get my audio recording to sync up with the grid or do I have to do this manually?

Setup Information:

Computer: Windows 8, HP Envy TS15, 16 GB ram, 2 TB WD My Passport Ultra external HD, i7-4700 MQ processor @2.4 GHz quad core
DAW: Pro Tools 11.1
Audio Interface: Roland Quad Capture
32 sample buffer size
48000 Hz sample rate
Delay compensation and low latency monitoring are checked
Old 12-26-2013, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Lowest buffer size and audio does not align with the grid

Not enough info yet. Are there ANY plugins in the session(and which ones)? What is the Delay Compensation showing on the MIX window(since you have it turned ON)? Are you actually using a hardware insert? That delay setting is ONLY for using a hardware insert(where you send audio OUT from the session, thru an external processor, and return it to the same track.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Not enough info yet. Are there ANY plugins in the session(and which ones)?

I did my "test" without any plugins.

What is the Delay Compensation showing on the MIX window(since you have it turned ON)?

The "dly" part has 42 samples on one track I have with an Eleven Free and a PSA-1 plug-in, and consequently the "cmp" on each other track is zero. If I delete the track, everything is zero. I think this suggests that the ADC is working properly, at least compensating for any plug-in delay.

Are you actually using a hardware insert? That delay setting is ONLY for using a hardware insert(where you send audio OUT from the session, thru an external processor, and return it to the same track.\

Ohhh I see. I guess that makes perfect sense, then. No I am not using a hardware insert. I was just monitoring through my laptop speakers (which by the way is not working at the moment).
I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of tool that will take every audio track I record and bump it back in time by a specified amount, say 70 milliseconds. This would be nice and would save me some manual clipping and pasting which I think would be sloppy.
But, at the same time, I think I have a pretty powerful set-up and I imagine there might be something I'm missing that's really killing the synchronicity.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Well, I'm at a loss on this one. Maybe its the 3rd party interface? Does the Roland have some routing/monitoring software working behind the scenes? Hope you get it sorted

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstlwhppd View Post
How I measured the delay: ran a click track and recorded my guitar trying to copy the beats of the click track. Measured the difference between the beginning of the guitar wave form and the measure line.
Why don't you send the click to one analogue output, rewire it to an input, record it to a new track,
at the same time record the click by bus to another track
and see if they line up?
Old 12-27-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstlwhppd View Post
Not enough info yet. Are there ANY plugins in the session(and which ones)?

I did my "test" without any plugins.

What is the Delay Compensation showing on the MIX window(since you have it turned ON)?

The "dly" part has 42 samples on one track I have with an Eleven Free and a PSA-1 plug-in, and consequently the "cmp" on each other track is zero. If I delete the track, everything is zero. I think this suggests that the ADC is working properly, at least compensating for any plug-in delay.

Are you actually using a hardware insert? That delay setting is ONLY for using a hardware insert(where you send audio OUT from the session, thru an external processor, and return it to the same track.\

Ohhh I see. I guess that makes perfect sense, then. No I am not using a hardware insert. I was just monitoring through my laptop speakers (which by the way is not working at the moment).
I guess what I'm looking for is some sort of tool that will take every audio track I record and bump it back in time by a specified amount, say 70 milliseconds. This would be nice and would save me some manual clipping and pasting which I think would be sloppy.
But, at the same time, I think I have a pretty powerful set-up and I imagine there might be something I'm missing that's really killing the synchronicity.
Not sure why you'd have latency that way. I'm guessing something in the interface itself is the cause. Are there any delay comp settings for the interface?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:47 PM

Why don't you send the click to one analogue output, rewire it to an input, record it to a new track,
at the same time record the click by bus to another track
and see if they line up?

But then wouldn't it still be off of the grid, but they'd just both be off the grid?
My issue is that I want to compose midi to go with audio recordings, hence it will be off time if I don't correct it.

Are there any delay comp settings for the interface?

Not that I could find. I was hoping there would be a way to automatically bump back the audio recordings as it records. But I guess that's what the delay option in the mix window does, I just couldn't get it to work. I think the other thing that sucked about that is that it doesn't actually move the wave form graphically, it just moves the sound, which could get confusing.