Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2006, 11:06 PM

Default Recording ReDrum in Protools

OK...So I FINALLY figured out how to route the individual channels on ReDrum into individual tracks in Pro Tools....(Reason instered on an Aux in PT, All ReDrum channels routed to the corresponding channels in the Reason "Hardware" interface, and each audio channel in PT with a Reason insert with the corresponding channel in ReWire...) I hear everything, my controller keyboard is playing all the samples, I'm getting levels for each drum sample on every audio track, and when I go to record (yes, I armed the audio tracks) it records nothing...the levels disappear, and it records nothing but silence. By the way, I'm using PT MIDI, on its own MIDI track, not Reason's sequencer. And if it means anything, I'm running Protools LE 6.9 with an MBox(1), and Tiger on a 1.2 GHz iBook. Please help!! Thanks.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Recording ReDrum in Protools

Hi,

I think your supposed to use AUX track with rewire.

Solution 1:
1) setup an AUX track with rewire on that

use BOUNCE to bounce the tracks you want as audio

Solution 2:
1) setup and AUX track with rewire on that
2) set the output of that AUX track to an BUS OUTPUT
3) create a AUDIO track and set that tracks INPUT to the corresponding output of the AUX track
4) arm record on the AUDIO track(s)
5) hit record/play

You should now see audio getting rendered.

best wishes
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 AM

I was just curious, but theoretically, if AUDIO from Reason is being input to an AUDIO track, isn't that the same as a mic or line input on an audio track? If so, why would I need Aux tracks to catch the ReDrum audio, just to bus and bounce them down? Seems like the audio approach would be more practical, signal flow wise...Thanks for your reply anyway...
Old 02-24-2006, 12:42 AM

I theory - yes.

And it would also work in protools if there was a way of setting the INPUT of the track to the OUTPUT of the rewire. Remember, when you
record audio you'll have to select the right source to record and thats why you're getting zippo audio when recording.

If you wanna know it much better than what i described, read the protools manual 7 chapter 25: basic mixing -> signal flow

best wishes
Old 02-24-2006, 11:33 AM

OK....so I finally got it. If anyone else is wondering how, here's how I accomplished this:

1. First, you will need one MIDI track with the OUTPUT sent to each Reason Instrument you decide to use, IF you decide to use Pro Tools to write your MIDI data...In my case, it was ReDrum.

2. You need an Aux track in PT for every channel you plan to use coming out of the Hardware Interface in Reason.

3. You need to Insert Reason on every Aux channel, and specify in the ReWire window which channel from Reason's Hardware Interface you want to insert ie. Mix L, Mix R, Channel 3, 4, & so on...
(I set Mix L - Kick, Mix R - Snare, Channel 3, Tom1...etc.)

4. You need to assign the *SEND* (not the output) in each Aux track to which ever bus you decide
(I sent Kick-Bus 1, Snare-Bus 2, Tom 1-Bus 3...etc.) Don't forget to set the Aux/Bus faders at Unity, or you will hear nothing.

5. You will need as many Audio tracks as you have Aux tracks with Reason inserted...and set the INPUT of each track to each bus. (Channel 1 - Bus 1 (Kick), Channel 2 - Bus 2 (Snare)...)

6. Program away in the MIDI track you created, and when you finish, arm your Audio tracks, hit record, and voila.

Thanks Bobbers, and most of the staff at SAE Nashville for assisting me with this issue...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:08 PM

Sidenote: Turn MIDI Thru OFF in the MIDI Menu, if you are hearing phase/doubling of your samples when trying to record live MIDI data thru a MIDI controller...
Old 02-24-2006, 02:34 PM

The much more practical way to do it is in step 4 use the output. That way you wouldn't have to do what you said in your side-note.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:43 PM

When I routed through the output, no audio was being sent to the channel...?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:28 AM

Quote:

3. You need to Insert Reason on every Aux channel, and specify in the ReWire window which channel from Reason's Hardware Interface you want to insert ie. Mix L, Mix R, Channel 3, 4, & so on...
(I set Mix L - Kick, Mix R - Snare, Channel 3, Tom1...etc.)

may I ask how you asign the individual drums to the particular channels as you describe here?

thanks
Old 03-18-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
OK...So I FINALLY figured out how to route the individual channels on ReDrum into individual tracks in Pro Tools....(Reason instered on an Aux in PT, All ReDrum channels routed to the corresponding channels in the Reason "Hardware" interface, and each audio channel in PT with a Reason insert with the corresponding channel in ReWire...) I hear everything, my controller keyboard is playing all the samples, I'm getting levels for each drum sample on every audio track, and when I go to record (yes, I armed the audio tracks) it records nothing...the levels disappear, and it records nothing but silence. By the way, I'm using PT MIDI, on its own MIDI track, not Reason's sequencer. And if it means anything, I'm running Protools LE 6.9 with an MBox(1), and Tiger on a 1.2 GHz iBook. Please help!! Thanks.
This is what I do. Everything is the same, but I use audio channels instead of aux channels. The "reasoning" to this is I still want everything to be seperate, and then turn Reason off to save CPU power. So then you insert a send in the first track (BD probably) for bus 1. Set it at 0 and set it pre-fader. Then set the input of that track as bus 1. Repeat for all the channels using different busses. Once done, record arm all tracks and record. You should have an audio region for each channel. I have to set my H/W buffer pretty high on my Mini. so my tracks are sometimes a little behind. Switch into slip mode and line the hits up with the grid. You should be good to go.