Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-17-2004, 06:58 AM

Default MUSICIAN NEEDS HELP

I am a musician who has been playing with Pro Tools for the last few months. I recieved the bundle with my mbox. My main usage for the whole setup is to record my music and then play around with it. With that said, the only real "effects" I use are Amplitube and some of those with PT. At this point, I have not messed with Reason, or any of the other (Live,SampleTank or TRacks) too much. My question is this: I want to have the ability to add some synth instruments (I believe somee of these can do this) etc, however when I went to Guitar Center, they started harping about having to buy the full blown verssions, a MIDI keyboard, etc. What I am wanting to do is very basic, add some horns here or there, maybe some funky sounds here or there, not put together an entirely synthed song or album.

Question is this: For a novice, can the bundle suffice and what is each app really good for? What do I need at a minimum to use these? Are there any layman directions out there (similar to the John Keane PT book which is a lifesaver)?

I know this is long, but I am at a point where I want to take things a step further and there are just not a lot of resources where I live?

Thanks
SIM
Old 06-17-2004, 07:05 AM

Default Re: MUSICIAN NEEDS HELP

You can start by using Sampletank and drawing notes in the MIDI track.You can do the same with Reason.That at least will give you an idea of what sounds are available to you.You really at least need a MIDI keyboard and depending on your DIGI HW you may need a MIDI interface.

But you can check the softsynyths out without any more than you already have.

Old 06-18-2004, 05:27 PM

You could start very cheaply with almost ANY midi enabled keyboard. Plug it in the digi, both midi and audio, record some tracks in midi and so they play back on the keyboard. You can then record the sounds (preferred in this case for control over sounds) or config the midi channels to all play back on the keyboard simultaneously.

I am not sure what software came bundled with your MBox, because I bought my stuff on Ebay, but I didn't even notice at first that I got a copy of Sampletank SE on the same disk as the Amplitube I got. Check your disks.

Once you get Sampletank, or other "soft-synths/samplers" you can use them to play back your midi tracks. That is where you probably want to get to eventually. Once you get it set up you will see how easy it is. You will still need a keyboard for recording the midi tracks, but you do NOT need a $2000 hardware sampler with 88 weighted keys to do what you want to do.
Old 06-18-2004, 05:31 PM

Drawing parts on a MIDI tracks get very annoying, even people who don't use it much should have a MIDI keyboard. IMO you only need a cheap keyboard with MIDI INs and OUTs and your fine. And you will quickly grow and learn that sampletank synths, while some are good, most are bad(Free version). Reason on the other hand, has terrible synths IMO lol but I hear the full version is alot better. Reason and Live are very good tools and you shouldn't let them go to waste, Reason's ReDrum is very nice, you can load any .wav file in it.