Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Default Re: 8.0.3 - It must be Christmas!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155
fwiw last ppc was sold in january 2006
That date doesn't seem right.

Right or wrong, PPCs were being "sold" long after Jan '06, even if that's the correct final date of manufacture.

But that doesn't change your point that the industry is trying to move en masse to Intel.
you are correct: Intels started being sold January 2006 and PPCs stopped being produced... they sold off their stock for the next few months... but at that point... you're buying a computer that's already 1 step closer to obsolete.

Quote:
...The people who have a legitimate gripe are only those who have recently purchased PT8 (as an upgrade)...
I agree... let's give them a refund (full or partial) give them 7.4.2cs470 (which is very stable) and let's move on!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norad155 View Post
you are correct: Intels started being sold January 2006 and PPCs stopped being produced... they sold off their stock for the next few months... but at that point... you're buying a computer that's already 1 step closer to obsolete.

I agree... let's give them a refund (full or partial) give them 7.4.2cs470 (which is very stable) and let's move on!
I think you would be better off using 7.4 in Tiger and forgetting Leopard all together if thats the case. Much better RTAS VI performance for a start.

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasonic View Post

The people who have a legitimate gripe are only those who have recently purchased PT8 (as an upgrade) to run on their 4+ year old computer. But, realistically, they didn't just buy this whole SYSTEM. They only bought an incremental update that probably won't be developed any further. It's not as though all the value they've ever gotten from their system will suddenly be negated just because the end of the road is within sight. They have been using this gear over the last few years, right? Doing work, producing things, billing clients, etc. They've been getting value from the system.

So, the exposure for those people is that they aren't getting all of their $250 of value from the update they bought.

Sure, the initial release of 8 was pretty buggy. But it's buggy for everyone-- the PPC guys and the Intel guys. If they released 8 before they should have, it's a different issue not directly tied to the dropping of PPC support.
This puts it best, IMO. It was an upgrade - not a system purchase - and it's obviously not working out as well for some. Some don't like the look/feel, some have issues with older plugs they love causing 8 to fail, some just like Workspace to WORK without it folding every day. We all have legitimate gripes.

It may have been a different story if 8 was released for intel-only. That seems like it would have made more sense to most of us.

75 fixes is a big deal - and I can't wait to install it on 3 MacPro's in the next week. Having to fish out the PT8 original disc is a PITA (we did most of the upgrades online), but whatever. 75 fixes!! Now if we can get the real big ones into a 8.0.2 or 8.0.1 cs2 or something, that would be fantastic.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:

fwiw last ppc was sold in january 2006... it's almost january 2010... I don't think I've ever been able to get a 4 year old computer to do everything I wanted it to.
I don't disagree with you. But the nature of using DSP cards for running our DAWs have kept us in PPC land longer than normal. I would buy an 8 core Mac Pro tomorrow if the cards fit in the slots.

The problem is that while my Dual 2.0 G5 is considered a dinosaur for most uses, with an HD3 thrown in there it is clearly not.

I just shot my newest video with almost 100 tracks running and 12 VI tracks running and live drums playing back in real time EA with AT graphically tuning while screen capturing the whole thing without a hiccup. Why am I upgrading?
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
They've already announced that they will be doing ongoing maintenance releases of 8.01.
But this is a "maintenance release". Why would they give us the same thing with a different number? Kind of confusing.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrasonic View Post

Sure, the initial release of 8 was pretty buggy. But it's buggy for everyone-- the PPC guys and the Intel guys.
Nope. It WAS buggy for everyone. Now it's just buggy for PPC users.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
I just shot my newest video with almost 100 tracks running and 12 VI tracks running and live drums playing back in real time EA with AT graphically tuning while screen capturing the whole thing without a hiccup. Why am I upgrading?
I'm with you Kenny. I just had my most productive year with my Accel 2 cards inside my G5 Dual 2.7.
I actually don't have any issues with the 8 software either.

If Avid offer a fair upgrade path to PCIe........which for me is merely the same card with an adaptor (you know what I mean) then you and I and many others would be upgrading this week.

It's a no brainer..........unless there is a new card in the wings and Avid have to wait for that release.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Talking Re: 8.0.3 - It must be Christmas!

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. But the nature of using DSP cards for running our DAWs have kept us in PPC land longer than normal. I would buy an 8 core Mac Pro tomorrow if the cards fit in the slots.
That's a very good point, I hadn't thought of that!

I will raise my compassion for PPC users by about 50% as I totally agree with that!

but... you know 7.4.2 works great...
Old 12-17-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:

but... you know 7.4.2 works great...
Is that gonna be Avid's official position?
Old 12-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
the nature of using DSP cards for running our DAWs have kept us in PPC land longer than normal. I would buy an 8 core Mac Pro tomorrow if the cards fit in the slots.
I suggest the lion's share of the users feel this way.

Quote:
you know 7.4.2 works great...
Sure, but missing many features, and even PT 8 has a lot of established-good-ideas that are still left to implement . . . It depends what type of user you are. . . (I would agree 7.4.2 looks great).