Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2008, 12:39 AM

Default Track fader volume to send volume

Hey there everone. I was wondering if there was an easy way to copy all my track volumes to their send volume faders?FYI I do not have any automation on those tracks or I would copy and paste them and I am using PT LE7.4. I want to create a headphone mix that is the same as my main mix ,put the sends in Pre fader and make adjustments to my main mix without it effecting the performer's mix.Right now a have to recreate the headphone mix one fader or group at a time.
Thanks in advance
Smmdrum
Old 08-04-2008, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmdrum View Post
Hey there everone. I was wondering if there was an easy way to copy all my track volumes to their send volume faders?FYI I do not have any automation on those tracks or I would copy and paste them and I am using PT LE7.4. I want to create a headphone mix that is the same as my main mix ,put the sends in Pre fader and make adjustments to my main mix without it effecting the performer's mix.Right now a have to recreate the headphone mix one fader or group at a time.
Thanks in advance
Smmdrum
In this situation, why not get a headphone splitter and route the headphone outs instead of using the sends? Or, route all of your tracks to an aux instead of "Output 1/2", and have the aux output to 1/2 (acting as a master fader), then put the headphone send on the aux.

-Ryan

•2019 Mac Pro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon W - 48 GB 2666 MHz DDR4 (OS 10.15.5) •HD Native PCIe, HD Omni, 192 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •Avid S3 + Dock •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •5.1 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

Additional Systems

•2010 Mac Pro 2 x 2.66 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon - 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native PCIe, 192 I/o, 96 I/o, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x4), McControl (x1), JLCooper Surround panner for D-Command ES, Avid Control •Blackmagic Intensity Pro (HDMI) •7.1.4 Room with JBL LSR4300 series

•2017 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz i7 - 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 (OS 10.14.6) •HD Native TB, HD Omni, Pro Tools Ultimate •McMix (x1), McControl (x1), Avid Control * or * D-Command ES Main Unit •Fed into whichever system is the main system
Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 AM

there isnt a setting for this in LE but it is an option in HD. were stuck with the slow way of doing this.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanx but I should clarify. I have built up a rough mix. I want an easy way to copy that mix to my sends for the performer's headphone mix witch I send to a different output on the Digi002 that goes to a headphone amp.Then I can change the individual levels or mute some instruments in my main mix without effecting the performer's mix.
Thanx
Old 08-04-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanx tbktb,
I was typing when you replied..Being that us LE users don't have this feature,has anyone come up with a way to do this? You know, a"trick"
Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM

Have you checked in the preferences?
I know theres a default pan feature, not sure about level other that to 0. But give it a look.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 AM

Simple trick?... Ok, for a rough mix (that can end up as good static candidate before automation) try to use the trim plugin or the time adjuster (if you want to do manual delay compensation as well) as you first insert on all your tracks. If you then leave your faders all the way up to zero and do the rough mix by adjusting the trim instead and not the faders, you are done. Just on preferences untick the zero def for sends.

There are other benefits, if you go that way, like improved fader resolution!

Good luck,
Antonis
Old 08-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmdrum View Post
Thanx tbktb,
I was typing when you replied..Being that us LE users don't have this feature,has anyone come up with a way to do this? You know, a"trick"
You could make aux stems for each instrument group (i.e. vocals, guitars, drums, etc) by assigning post-fader sends on your tracks, and leave them at unity gain (zero). This will make the headphone mix identical to the main mix.

Now, make auxes for each instrument group. I'll try to explain:
  • Make as many stereo auxes as you need (or can), and try to keep it simple. Like vocals, backing vocals, guitars (possibly with bass included to minimize bus usage), drums, keyboards
  • Assign a unique stereo bus input on each aux, create sends for the tracks included in this instrument group, and use the same bus pair
  • Assign all stem auxes to the hardware outputs feeding your headphones amp
This way you can at the very least adjust volume and mute for each instrument group. It's not ideal, but should work pretty well.

You could, and should, make a template where you have all this pre-configured. Saves time, and who needs the hassle, right?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post
You could make aux stems for each instrument group (i.e. vocals, guitars, drums, etc) by assigning post-fader sends on your tracks, and leave them at unity gain (zero). This will make the headphone mix identical to the main mix.

• Make as many stereo auxes as you need (or can), and try to keep it simple. Like vocals, backing vocals, guitars (possibly with bass included to minimize bus usage), drums, keyboards
  • Assign a unique stereo bus input on each aux, create sends for the tracks included in this instrument group, and use the same bus pair
This way you can at the very least adjust volume and mute for each instrument group. It's not ideal, but should work pretty well.

You could, and should, make a template where you have all this pre-configured. Saves time, and who needs the hassle, right?
Is that called stem sell research or stem mixing. goth'cha you swine!

Another cool thing to add to Stig's brilliant synopsis (which he learned all from MEEEEEE!) You can create your own template with standard faders for guitar, keys, bass, Lead Vocals, Backgrounds, instrument tracks with favorite midi instruments, and AUx sends for each, along with FX on each channel, and FX busses, reverb busses and Master Fader. Then save it under a file you can call "My Music Group template.

THEN, anytime you need tracks for a band mix, you can open a new session, then "Import Session Data" and navigate to "My Music Group Template and start bring in the types of tracks you need, already labeled, set with your favorite plug-ins, routed the way you like, and then you can import these session aids. Try that one one Stig! U....WTF?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Lover View Post

Is that called stem sell research o r stem mixing. goth'cha you swine!

Another cool thing to add to Stig's brilliant synopsis (which he learned all from MEEEEEE!) You can create your own template with standard faders for guitar, keys, bass, Lead Vocals, Backgrounds, instrument tracks with favorite midi instruments, and Aux sends for each, along with FX on each channel, and FX busses, reverb busses and Master Fader. Then save it under a file you can call "My Music Group template.

THEN, anytime you need tracks for a band mix, you can open a new session, then "Import Session Data" and navigate to "My Music Group Template and start bring in the types of tracks you need, already labeled, set with your favorite plug-ins, routed the way you like, and then you can import these session aids. Try that one one Stig! U....WTF?