Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-17-2007, 11:32 AM

Default master Fader and L3 Multimaximizer

Hi Everyone, I am new with pro tools so I would really apreciate a little help with this,
I was reading the manual for the L3 Multimaximizer and there is something there that confused me, what do they mean by saying to insert the L3 after the master fader, I thought the master fader was the last track on a session, could someone please clarify this for me.
Thank you
Old 09-17-2007, 11:55 AM

Default Re: master Fader and L3 Multimaximizer

Create a new track (Ctrl-shift-N). Select 'stereo' and choose 'master fader' from the drop down list. This will act as your main fader for the entire session - any effects you put here (like the L3 or metering/analysis plug ins) will have a global effect on the session. Also any fade outs or volume changes made here will be global.

One caveat: Please don't overuse the L3! Use it musically and not just to slam the levels! Thanks!

Hope that helps...

Tom
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com
Old 09-17-2007, 12:12 PM

The master fader is like a global fader for the whole song. Just as you see on any analog board, there will be submasters and then a master. In Pro Tools you will need to create the master fader. You can add plug ins to the master fader to finalize and shape your mix, but only if you intend to have a final mixdown of the song.

In many cases people will not use any mastering plug ins on the master fader just like the L3, because the mix with just a touch of compression (maybe) can then be taken to another specialized studio that applies the final touches to the song. The process of finalizing the song is called mastering. This is if you want to follow the right process. But you can have a good final mix of your tunes if you use the mastering plugs.

If you want to use it, you can definitely try. From the waves info. it may not make sense literatelly, but just add it on the inserts of the master fader. If you use more than one, start placing your plugins from top to bottom, in the master fader the L3 should be the last one, all the way at the bottom.

http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=3173

I don't know if you have seen it but check out the L3-16 tutorial.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:32 PM

Thank you very much for your reply, your response cleared everything up for me again thank you

Thank you very much for your reply, your response cleared everything up for me again thank you