How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2011, 09:33 PM

Smile Multiple interfaces in pt9 HD?

Hi

I am curious if there is any way to run multiple interfaces simultaneously in PT9HD?
While this scenario might be possible on regular PT9(with mbox/m-audio etc)
i am curious about my setup(PT HD3 running PT9) which contains 2 192 interfaces and now trying to get 8 more ins to my system via a PreSonus Firestudio project-possibly connected via firewire

I realize i would need the drivers installed for the Presonus, but i am more concerned whether or not Pro Tools will allow you to access multiple interfaces simultaneously that are not all HD interfaces

Thanks
Old 05-08-2013, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Multiple interfaces in pt9 HD?

(hi), that i would like to know also.
Can we use with PTHD in the same session an old 192 with any asio compatible interface ?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:22 PM

if you are running HD/HDX cards & interfaces you can not Aggregate any other kind of interface with them

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 05-08-2013, 06:42 PM

ok thanks. The only solution would be another 192 or any third party interface that would be "seen" as a valid HD converter for more rec/play tracks as long as PT can deliver some (?)

another question : if you are using hdx cards, do you also loose the hdx plugs when aggregating ?
i tried to use that fonction and lost all tdm plugs.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 AM

Are you already using all 16 inputs on both 192's? If not, then you can feed the lightpipe OUT of the Firestudio to a lightpipe IN on a 192. You would need to (with FW connected) open the Firestudio software and route the 8 inputs to the lightpipe outs(it CAN be done, but may burn an afternoon of fussing). Once the assignments are done, you can close that setup program and you should not need it again. Feed Wordclock from a 192 to the FS for clocking.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM

nice, i haven't tought about this digital option.
At least the deal would be for me to have enough premixed i/o for live situation using PT and, send a different balance to the 7 musicians who have their personnal console. No mikes are used except for the singers or horns

thx alot man i will check
Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM

I dont know if that helps for your problem, but I have ADAT 24 (!) Bridges connected via legacy ports ( 2 per Interface) , offering me heaps of lightpipe in's on my HD system with a great bang for the buck (a bridge is about 150 $ on ebay these days ? And it's 16 PT HD compatible channels...)

BUT: as often with "cheap" solutions there a some (adat - ) bridges to cross and I've heard from people experiencing problems too.

In my setup it works flawless, besides some weird LED-blinking on the bridges making no sense (but who cares ) but some restrictions apply - like no higher samplerates than 48 k (no SMUX or what it's called). And it took almost a day until PT accepted the bridges and I had some useable templates. And I dont know how PT 9 reacts to this 1990's (?) hardware, not even thinking about PT 10 or PT 11...)

And: make sure you get a hold of the old standard legacy "y"-cables, otherwise it won't work (and if sold seperately, they can be expensive)

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel
Old 05-12-2013, 11:23 AM

that's quite strange in both case (you & albee1952) it takes quite a time before pro tools handles the new connections...