Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Exclamation PT 8 CPU Overload Problem

Hey ,
I'm on a MacBook Pro 2.4 dual , 4 Gigs. and im running pro-tools 8 Mbox2 le
Basically, every time im tryin to play back and record I always get the CPU overload error. I rarely/ to never got this error on Pro tools 7.4. Im not doing anything different from before. I've changed the Buffer sizes but still get the error. Even when i have turned off all the plug ins I still get the error.

I have the ignore error message checked on but still i get the error. Im wondering what could be the problem and why the drastic change in performance from 7.4 -> 8. Should i just go back to 7.4 for the reliability?
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:15 AM

Default Re: PT 8 CPU Overload Problem

bump - I am having similar issues.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Avid

I have the 2.2 MBP and it works just fine, so it's likely something about your system causing the problem. However, without more specifics, it's hard to tell.

Please try the optimizations and troubleshooting in the General Troubleshooting thread, then post information about your system if you're unable to resolve the problem.

Areas to focus on:

Plug-ins are updated
You're using a compatible drive
Wireless is disabled
Old 01-16-2009, 02:19 AM

Same issues here. Updated whole system yesterday (from 10.4.11 to 10.5.6 an from PT 7.3.1 to PT8) and I got playback crashes, but CPU never goes over 28% and disk access over 10 %. I never had problems reading the same session on 7.3.1
I'm on a macpro 2x2Ghz Dual Core, 5 Go Ram, plugs are up to date, I'm using several dsp cards (uad-1, powercore). wireless is off.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:22 AM

Many CPU overloud issues are due to the number of CPU limit setting in H/W Setup... In Leopard, starting from 7.4.2 to 8, many people need to reduce the number of CPU limit under H/W Setup. Usually set it 1 below your max., but for my Mac, which is a PowerMac G5 Quad, I need to set the limit as 2 instead of 4 to make PT run smoothly.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:26 AM

tried with less cpu , and getting worse. I first thought it was kontakt 2 so I bounced all synths, and nothing. still crashes. weirdest thing is that it crashes even when I'm not playing. can't understand.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:58 AM

As DigiTechSpt said, none of you are giving enough info to help. For instance;
what drive are you recording to?
what plugins are you using?
are ALL those plugins updated for PT8(if they are 3rd party)?

I can tell you that BFD Lite in PT8 has been crashing my Mac Pro quad core. As long as I skip that plug, I have no troubles but I seem to remember Kontact having issues from some other threads. To Sebopath, I would uninstall the UAD card and plugs until you get PT8 working smooth. The reinstall so if you have troubles, you will know that they come from the UAD stuff and not PT8.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 AM

I have had this problem and it stopped as soon as I turned off my bluetooth!Which sucks a bit as I can't use my mighty mouse, but at least pro tools isn't crashing. I also didn't get a problem with bluetooth switched on using 7.4 with tiger.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:47 PM

Check your disk permissions. Check the disk for errors. Create a different account with administrator privileges. Check what's on the start up itens on the preferences panel. Reset the ram of your mac. Remove all plugins non digi from the pro tools plugin folder.

If nothing of this works, reinstall everything. I have an iMac with PT8, 10.5.6, bluetooth mouse, 4Gb ram, a lacie firewire 160Gb, and I never had a problem with Pro Tools for over 4 years now...Guess I'm lucky...

Cheers

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

OS Sierra 10.12.2

Mac Mini 2,6Ghz Core i5
8Gb Ram
SSD 250Gb

External 2TB WD USB 3.0
Old 01-19-2009, 07:28 AM

Hi,
Have you tried trashing the prefs?rather than a full restore?Also you do realise that you are posting on the mac forum?Sounds to me like trashing all the Pro Tools pref files might solve your problems?

To trash Databases and Preferences on a PC:

To trash your databases, go to “My Computer,” then double-click each of your hard drives on your system, right-click each
“Digidesign Databases” folder and choose delete. Then, go to your System Drive C: > Program Files > Digidesign > Pro
Tools > Databases. Click on the folder called “volumes” and delete it.

To trash your preferences manually on a PC, go to your Start Menu > My Computer > Your Local Hard Drive >
Documents and Settings > “Your User Name Folder” > Application Data > Digidesign. Right-click the Digidesign folder and
delete it. Then, go to your Start Menu > My Computer > Your Local Hard Drive > Program Files > Digidesign > DAE >
DAE Prefs. Delete the entire DAE Preferences folder.

Hope this helps.