Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2009, 03:02 AM

Default 2 region mute problems (Feature request?)

1. I can not see the Mute status of Regions that are Offline. There are situations where I want to see if those regions would be vital to the mix, or muted anyways.

2. Group some regions, cut the region group into some clips, mute some of them. When you un-group, all the regions are NOT muted (not inheriting the mute from the group).
Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 AM

Default Re: 2 region mute problems (Feature request?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix Rost View Post

2. Group some regions, cut the region group into some clips, mute some of them. When you un-group, all the regions are NOT muted (not inheriting the mute from the group).
To me that´s the correct behaviour. The group is not to transfer it´s own mute-state to the regions contained in the group when you remove the group. The muted group is a feature of the group not the contained regions.

The hole point about the group is that it preserves the status of the contained regions.

Example: I often have a section of a film that has a combination of muted and active region. Sometimes I want to quickly mute the whole section (while recording ADR for instance) but keep the combination of mutes and active regions inside the group even if I slice up the group. The group is the only way to do this and it wasn´t possible before Digi introduced region groups. In a way it´s sequence handling for the poor PT user.

Later when I want to return to the original state I simply remove the group and I have all my original status back.

If the muted group transfered the mute to ALL the content of the group I would never be able to remember how that section has originally ment to play back. In a way ungrouping would destroy my original arrangement in that moment.

To sum it up: I think the current way is correct.

Think of he group as a mini-session within the session. Would you want all of the mutes in that minisesseion to change when you temporarily ungroup? Personally, I don´t.

Maybe there are situations where you want the group to transfer the mute state to the content of the group when ungrouping so an option to "inherit" the mute when ungrouping could be a comprimise. Additional short-cut for ungrouping maybe?

Frank.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Default Re: 2 region mute problems (Feature request?)

Hey Frank,
it's perfect for the way you use it, and I use it that way myself. I use it the other way when fine-timing, say, some VO sections or background clips that are already cleaned-up and edited. It makes the dragging around easier. In come the edits and mutes. ...Maybe I have to think about keeping down my usage of region mute for editing anyways...